Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RST vs AlpineStars

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Mr Christopher, Oct 20, 2009.

1. I own an RST leather jacket and was going to get myself a pair of leather legs for $300 when I saw a hot 2 piece AlpineStars suit on sale for $800.

My question: is the AlpineStars gear worth the extra $$$$? I know it has better armour around the knee and shin - but the RST jacket has saved my skin twice now - so I'm assuming the legs will be of similar reliability.

Does anyone know? Yes I WANT some hot looking gear, but do I really NEED it? ;)

2. Alpinestars and Dainese would be the top brands imo. Then there's Spidi, Berik and Joe Rocket that are also popular. That's not saying you can't find good quality gear from other brands.
  3. I'd be interested in what others think about this too.

I have had a Tourmaster Coster jacket for a couple of years and has worked well so far. However, I have recently bought an alpinestars jacket and have notice some differences. The leather does seem to be of better quality, more convinent pockets and better ventilation (i guess this all depends on the jacket you get).

But so far I think the Tourmaster (about $250 cheaper) seems like it would do the job just as well. It seems like you are paying a bit extra for some extra features and the brand name.

Have not had a crash yet so cant really comment on the safety part of it.
  4. It's a bit like comparing a Commodore/Falcon to a BMW/Merc

They do the samething but the more expensive versions are a bit more refined, have better quality control, are made of better materials etc...

I have an RST 1 piece and an old AGV Sport 2 piece that has been down the road twice...they both do what they are intended to, which is protect my sorry arse when sliding down the road however neither of them is as comfortable or uses leather of the same quality as the Dainese or Alpinestars suits I have been looking at recently.

Good choice getting a 2 piece suit too, one pieces are good for the track but a pain in the arse on the road.

The cheaper leather suits are perfectly fine to protect you in a slide, but if you do loads of kays and spend a lot of time in your leathers then you may appreciate the better fit and comfort of the more expensive suits.
  5. I think thats a good price for the A stars. saw them at PS last week. by memory they were the TX-1 which are around $1500 normally. But the RST will do the job. I have a tiger angel suit and think the quality is worth the extra expense.
  6. That's a DAMN good price for astars. Unless you buy from the US.

I just put a $1400 two piece Berik suit on laybay for $700 all because it was the 09 style not the 10 style.