Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RSS feed for Netrider? Nice!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by VC, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Woah... didn't know you could get an RSS feed for Netrider forums... this is great! Goodonya, mods. Way to go. (This may have been around for a while? I just noticed it... may be a little slow on the uptake. :D)

2. ??????? as a well-known Australian political figure once said "Please explain".

3. Oh... If you look on the top right of the page just underneath the top-most ad, you should be able to see a link there for "RSS forums". If you use Firefox and look to the bottom right of your browser, you'll see a little orange square with what looks like a wireless transmission icon thing.

Clicking on it allows you to add Netrider to your browser bookmarks such that just by clicking on the bookmark, a list will pop up of all the latest posts without even going to the site. Then you can select from that list to go directly to that post of interest. A lot of the major sites have it, such as news sites for example - so that just by clicking on the bookmark, you can get a list of the headlines and then choose exactly what you want to read.

Just a convenience thing... ;)

4. Why thank you, I'll give it a go......

5.  Top
  6. OK, well I must be doing something wrong, cos when I click on the icon at the top of the page THIS is what I get!
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" ?>
    - <rss version="0.92">
    - <channel>
    <docs>http://backend.userland.com/rss092</docs>
    <title>Netrider</title>
    <link>https://netrider.net.au/forums/</link>
    <description>Netrider - Australian Motorcycle Discussion Forum</description>
    <managingEditor>forums@netrider.net.au</managingEditor>
    <webMaster>forums@netrider.net.au</webMaster>
    <lastBuildDate>Thu, 25 Aug 2005 22:13:17 GMT</lastBuildDate>
    - <item>
    <title>General Discussion :: RSS feed for Netrider? Nice!</title>
    <link>https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?p=136562#136562</link>
    <description>Author: VC
    Subject: RSS feed for Netrider? Nice!
    Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:41 am (GMT 10.00)
    Topic Replies: 4

<span class="postbody">Woah... didn't know you could get an RSS feed for Netrider forums... this is great! Goodonya, mods. Way to go. (This may have been around for a while? I just noticed it... may be a little slow on the uptake. [​IMG]) </span>
    </description>

7. Yep, think you need to use Firefox or Safari to get live RSS Feeds. Do yourself a favour and switch to Firefox, much better web browser.

8.  Top
  9. Yeah, I have tried firefox, but It's not worth changing browser when I've got a multi-panel browser and one panel is always open on Netrider anyway. I'm just puzzled why the mods would have a feature on the site that was not accessible to the majority of users who use IE?
    I downloaded a feed-reader programme, but it says that netrider.net.au "does not have subscription information".

10.  Top
  11. Get Tiger then :p :p :p

12. I have the Tiger, so don't know why the Tiger is better than the Panther. The Tiger is biting me all the time, will Apple get it right one day, even my Tiger server, well thats a list of problems longer than my arm.

13. Still running aqua on the xserve. Are you using safari rss? loads a separate page with titles and comments 8) .

14. We also have RSS feeds for the Events Calendar :)

15. It's not for a browser, it's just that the good people who develop Firefox decided to integrate RSS functionality into their browser. IE v7 will also integrate RSS functionality.

Which program did you download?

16.  Top
  17. Ok, thanks for that info, Jason
    The programme was called Feed-reader
    The Sharp reader programme also didn't function, even though I did download the .NET framework part (phew, 21M8).
    No sweat, I am running a multi-panneled front end for IE and that enable me to have Netrider open all the time without running multiple instances of IE.

18.  Top
  19. No I was using firefox, but yes the safari is a nice look. firefox makes them into tabs of each feed, not as good as safari.