Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RSI and scooters...

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by Gibbz, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Hey Guys,

I have a post in the general section, however Id like to hear from scooter users specifically.

I suffer bad rsi and holding the clutch on my bike at the lights is fairly painfull. And changing gears can be somewhat painfull at times.

Is it easy to hold the brake(s) in at the light on most scoots?
    Im looking at changing to a scooter above 250cc because the pain is bad at times.

Whats have you guys found?
  2. Are you ok with the brake? is it just the clutch? Scooters have also on the right hand the front brake, but the back brake in on the left hand. Of course you will use it much less than you use the clutch now...

It depends on what kind of driver you are, but don't put down the 250cc. They are more than enough for the city and for hwy.

The best answer is to go down to a scooter shop and test ride any scooter, then you'll tell by your self..
  3. yeah braking is fine, i dont usualy hold the front brake in at the lights.
    The main problem is holding for long periods(ie at lights), and that the clutch is usually hard to pull in and keep held in....
  4. Well then, welcome to the world of automatic gear box an CVT
    Discovered by da Vinci in 16th century and then adopted by volvo in 1950's
    The new technology is there for you, drop the old hoonie gearbox and join the auto cruiser rockets that scooters are these days..
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  5. Gibbz,

I ride a Honda Silverwing 600 but have installed aftermarket Kuryakyn Iso grips, which are larger, gel like and have a better feel, therefore you are not “gripping†onto it and are ideal for long rides - 400Kms +. Further, it has a hand brake, which is easy to operate and you may use for longer stops.

The above set up may alleviate your condition and “force†you to ride‼!

There are smaller scoots, like the Suzuki Burgman 400 or Yamaha Majesty 400 and TMax 500 with handbrake and all are auto, have a good range (300Kms+/Tank) and good for hwy use. There are some decent 250cc as well, Piaggio and Aprilia have good ones, the Koreans and Taiwanese are also worth a good look.

Go for a test ride as no matter what is discussed here, you need to check it for yourself if it’s good for your body size as well.

Happy Shopping

6. Cheers, didnt know you could get handbrakes on scooters, ill have to have a look at some of these.