Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RPM's for staying at speed

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Popollo, Mar 5, 2012.

1. I am a new rider and am confused about something I read. When I first went out riding, I shifted the bike whenever I thought it was sufficient to. I didn't pay attention to RPM's or anything like that...just listened to the bike. I have the Kawasaki GPX250R which has a redline of 14k. I never get that high but I know it is there. I generally cruised around at 4-5k RPM unless I needed to go up a hill. This is my first bike and obviously I cannot help but compare the way RPM's sound to a car.

I read on the Ninja 250 wiki pages that the engines on this bike like to run fast and it was suggested to shift in the 6k-10k range which I have no problems with. What confused me, is that is said to never cruise below 6k. I understand that is is good to stay in a high RPM range so you have some power to get out of a situation, but it just seemed like a lot of revs and noise just to cruise along...not to mention possibly using more fuel. Can anyone more experienced explain to me what a good rule of thumb is? I will be commuting each day and get reasonable fuel economy. Thanks.
  2. I'm still pretty new too but for me, when I'm cruising I'll stay at whatever RPM that I am most comfortable with, which is the lower RPM range for less vibration and better mileage. When I am approaching a few cars ahead I'll shift down to where my bike make the most power just incase, and then when it's clear I'll put it back into the cruising RPM again. I hope that help.

Also these 250 make alot of noise to go anywhere, so you going to need to get use to it. I know I was afraid of reving it so high when I first got my Ninja 250r, it's a habit learnt from driving a car. Also get some earplugs if you find it too noisy, it protect your ears from getting damage and I find that you ride better without the windnoise.
  3. #3 jag131990, Mar 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    Suppose you don't want to be only commuting around at 4-5k rpms all the time and being soft on your engine. Just vary your revs with your riding style maybe sit at 5 when ur constant speed but give her some when your accelerating etc
  4. Look at this torque curve:

You can see that the torque graph (lower graph) is highest and flattest between 5000 and 10,000 RPM. That is the range at which the bike is (more or less) most efficient and nicest to play with. Keep it in there and you'll be happy.

Try to change gears so that when you change up, the next gear is still at more than 5000.

(Note: I think that graph is for your engine but can't be sure)
  5. As per the graph, sounds like your "cruising" revs are a little too low. I don't have a ninja but my 250cc bike redlines at 14K rpm as well, and it's generally happiest and most responsive between about 7-12K (yes I like to thrash it). If you drop a gear and rev it a bit more the bike will be better set for quicker acceleration and response when needed.
  6. all the above makes sense, however if you are 'just cruising' on a boring stretch of fwy, then you can putt putt it, there is one rule 'right gear all the time' if you get caught out being in the wrong gear 'in a sitation' it can put you in a WTF situation quickly
  7. They will putt along in any gear,

But if you want to run it by ear, Just make sure it is not chain slapping, and the motor is not labouring,

If you need more, drop it down 2 gears and you will have plenty of oomph for those moments when you need it,
  8. I like to be towards the bottom of the power band so it responds when I roll on. Going by the torque curve its around 5-6000 but you know when you've got it right.
  9. Ditto with all the above, used to sit around 6-7000 rpm on my old gpx250, they'll take high revs all day long, you wont hurt it, better a few more revs than to labour the engine... My 07 did 60,000 pleasurable K's and was still like brand new when I sold her.. damn i miss that bike, you always miss ur first!
  10. http://kawasaki248.tripod.com/main/revs/all.htm
    Gives an idea of rev ranges for those owning a ZZR250 which I found useful. Was afraid to get the revs up when I first started riding. Didn't realise how much fun I was missing out on!!
  11. When I was riding the 250 Ninja through the twisties, I kept it around 9 - 10k.
    Select the right gear for the speed you're doing,,,fun times!!!!