Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Royal Enfield Continental GT

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Fa1c0n, May 27, 2014.

1. more like a café parker
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Saw some pictures of this. I thought I was interested until I saw the price. Not expensive, but not cheap enough when compared to more reliable competition.
  3. That's a very cool ride, needs to be closer to $8k than $10k, though....
  4. I've had mine for two months. LOVE IT
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Cool as. Does anyone make tweed riding jackets?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. BMW dealers stock them.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Not expensive at all compared to one of the Deus bikes.
  8. DaveTheYank - how does it fair on the highway? My commute is through the city then freeway so I'm trying to find something that doesn't need corners to be enjoyable, or a cruiser.
  9. Hey Fish. It's not too bad, but the vibrations get pretty intrusive above 110. I've done a couple of Brisbane-Gold coast runs, and if I keep it in the 100-105 range, that's where it's most comfortable. The bike is up for it no doubt, but it's just what the rider can take for longer periods. On this long weekend, I'm going down to Murwillumbah with the girlfriend (and her SR400). The back roads is where it really shines. I'm going to put on the dual seat, which should be a bit more comfortable, plus I can strap down my pack. I'll let you know how it goes.

Around the city it's great. Lots of torque, quick steering, but the bar-end mirrors make it a bit wide for filtering. Which is probably just as well, since it won't win many drag races!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Good to get a review. How is it on the wrists in the city?
  11. The riding position is surprisingly quite neutral. Though they're clip-ons, they're not really that low. The foot pegs are placed a bit up and back, but again not too far. I have had trouble with sore shoulders in the past on long rides, but this hasn't been too bad (previous bike was a Ducati Monster). No wrist trouble at all.

Really the only complaint I have is that the springs on the rear shocks are so stiff. I'm 85kgs, and I really get jolted over bumps, when at a medium pace going straight & level. I ride fairly aggressively in the hills, where the stiffness works to its advantage, so it only really bothers me around the city. Motorways are generally OK.

(yes, it's at the minimum preload available)
  12. Less preload does not equal less stiffness. In fact it can be the opposite. More preload gives you more air gap and thus the shock can be softer, although this is a secondary effect, rather than a primary adjustment. Primarily preload is only a height adjustment. This is a common misunderstanding. If you want to adjust spring stiffness you need to change the spring.

Do the shocks have damping adjustment? Try backing off the compression damping (if you have both compression and rebound damping). If only the one adjustment, try backing it off anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Unfortunately, it's only adjustable for spring preload. I think the only option is to go for softer or progressive springs. Honestly, a piece of broom handle cut to the right length would probably be softer!

This is a common observation with this bike. I'm sure it's in the name of giving it a performance feel, but I reckon these springs are wound for Americans.