Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Royal Enfield Bullet 350 $3,500

Discussion in 'Archived' started by mattb, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. #1 mattb, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    Having just checked the TCs it appears to me to be kocher to place an ad on behalf of another. A member of another forum that I am on posted up his Royal Enfield Bullet for sale, and because I love to encourage others to join the ranks of us Bulleteers, and because this is such a good price, I told him I would post the bike up here in the hopes that somebody local to me would buy it and join the slow side. Anybody looking for a cheap second bike that is a whole world of its own?

The bike is an Enfield Bullet, 350cc, made in 1988 in India. NB the year means that it is eligible for historic registration: $90 per annum for you to ride the bike 90 days per year! And you don't need a RWC if you go through the Royal Enfield Club of Australia to get the rego. The seller wrote i've had it for 2 and a bit years and it has been almost my daily ride. it comes as pictured (working) and has a victorian registration till the end of october. it also comes with a whole lot of bits, spare bars, large indicators, the old toolboxes, the pillion seats and mounts. i can supply more pictures and answer questions for people who are interested. its currently in Ballarat. The bike is being sold by an Andrew Crosbie. Contact him at andrewacrosbie(at)hotmail(dot)com He's asking $3.5k for it.

From 2000 onwards the Bullets began to change their design but this bike is essentially the 1955 British model, which is essentially the model that first hit the showrooms in 1949 as an update (eg rear suspension!) of the previous model that had been in production since 1932. This means for example an iron-barrel and a four speed right-change gear box. Kick-start only, naturally. The only real change from 1955 is 12V electrics, and in this case he has fitted an after-market disk brake.

Bullets are not reliable like a modern bike. To put this in context though, note the fellow's comments about riding it and indeed I have been commuting daily, and weekend touring (2-300km), for a year now on mine with no real hassles. If you join the club you'll find some very able mechanics are prepared to help you out with advice and hands on help, and there are a lot of rides such as single-days (some organised by me), as well as weekends and longer such as next month to SA, the following to Bungedore, a couple of months later to Tumut, and a couple of months later to Alice Springs. So it's a fun place to be. There's also a British maker of modern, high-quality replacement parts for Royal Enfields, especially for the engine: http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com Here's a review of the 350
    NB that the speeds he mentions are unrealistic. This is a bike for puttering down the back roads at 70-80kph.

NB I have never met this seller in person and have no personal investment in the sale, beyond the pleasure of seeing another person become a fellow Royal Enfield rider - which is my sole reason for posting it here. So if you have a problem with the seller or the bike, note therefore that I am not under any moral obligation to get involved! If you buy a bike of anybody off any forum still do all the usual checks to ensure everything is above board, no matter how nice they seem, and of course research what sort of bike you're getting yourself into.

So who wants to join me on the slow side?
  2. Have a soft spot for these bikes.

Ridden as they are intended they are a taste of yesterday.

Was looking for a 500, but may be tempted yet.
  3. $3,300 too much!
  4. #4 mattb, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    Peter, jump on Aussie Enfields if you have any questions about the model and what can be done with them and how they compare to the 500s. The 500 definitely has more plod and maybe 15kph higher cruising speed, although I hear that the 350s can be more robust when ridden within their limits. All Bullets have a floating bush bottom end bearing and apparently the 350 puts less pressure (as you'd expect) on the bush and so can be more resilient. I rode alongside a 350 last week that had 500 flywheels and work done and it pulled along and revved quite happily, keeping up with the 500s (in fact it possibly pulled harder than my 500, although it might be that I was just riding mine more conservatively, which is the key to a long engine life).

The 500s go for strong money, and sometimes silly money, but $4 to 4.5k is reasonable and usually comes along sooner or later. I guess a strong virtue of this 350 is its age, meaning it can be put on cheap club rego.

Man, you capitalists think you can measure freedom in dollars. What price a groovy experience? What price a revolution of the mind? What price the wind in your hair?
  5. As you can see from QuarterWit's avatar, you missed the mark with that comment :ROFLMAO:
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.