Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Royal Continental non-LAMS?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by hornet, Oct 6, 2014.

1. I would say judging by its air cooled ohv motor the most hp they could get out of it puts it in the lams power to weight category
  2. 21kW out of 500+ cc, pretty unimpressive engineering given its 2014. Supposedly the fastest model too ??? Hmmmm.
  3. Can get more power without much effort. This is designed.
  4. I agree but it makes it a very expensive beginner's bike if they hadn't also tooled up for a full licence version doesn't it?
  5. The engine, although markedly changed dates to 1931, the enclosed OHV head dates to the end of WWII. Boring it a little and adding fuel injection to meet emissions standards isn't a powerful beast going to make.

Has a lot of torque though. I suppose the point of these bikes is do you need more power? I think I would like more than 29hp but that frame might struggle.

I was thinking of buying a CB500X as my daily ride while I looked for something larger for weekends. In the end I got a Tiger 800 though....
  6. Och, where is your soul Paul?

It's the kind of bike you are supposed to ride wearing a classic Sid Snott jacket, white scarf, open face helmet, bikie boots with the white sox turned over the top, and blue (preferably not too clean) jeans.

It's about style, not performance.

Actually, in the real world, it would probably be a brilliant commuter bike, economical to run, and relatively simple to maintain.

Apart from the disc brakes and EFI, this is a Pommie bike from the early sixties......
    not a retro model "paying homage to" the old days.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Crazy Cam gets this bike. It's being marketed in Australia as a lifestyle bike. It's there to take advantage of the cafe racer trend. Sort of like the SR400 does.

Also, this bike was designed and built for the Indian market. Other markets, such as Australia, are an afterthought.

Roads in India are very different from those in Australia. Speeds are generally a lot lower, the road conditions are terrible. It's much more important there for a smallish rider to be able to filter though insane traffic and swerve around a rouge cow than to try and do the black spur with a 160km/h average speed.

Over there the Royal Enfield's are the kings of the road. In the two and a half weeks there I don't think I would have seen more than two or three vehicles that could out perform one of these. Talking to one of my Indian mates at work who rode over there, he said he had a 125cc Honda, but his dream bike was always a Royal Enfield.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there were significantly more RE's on the road in India than there are motorcycles in Australia.

As for LAMs status. Is it possible that no one has bothered to get it approved with the various government bodies? Or that bikesales simply doesn't realize yet? I mean, I doubt there are very many in Australia yet.
  8. The ad says it's LAMS.

9. It wasnt built for the indian market, it was built for the UK market.

Just the 1950 UK market.

I josh, I rode one when i was in India, fun little bike that was generally quite capable. It would be ok for a learner or commuter.
  10. I'm planning on heading back to India around December and as much as I'd love to try one, I'd also like to survive the trip. So I won't be riding in Indian traffic any time soon.
  11. Its not that bad once you get your head around how to ride
  12. That's a bit arse about face. It's a bike first. It also happens to comply with some learner rules, in a couple of provinces, in a small market south of the equator.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. #14 ibast, Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    Actually, I just noticed it doesn't have a traditional Enfield frame. The Enfield frame always looked absurd to my Engineering eye. The new frame looks a bit more like a Norton Isoelastic frame, though I can't find an image with the tank of to confirm whether it has the same large top tube.

I also don't know if it has vibration isolation.

Much nicer to the eye anyway. If it were $7k I'd think seriously about buying one.

[edit] found some information to indicate it's double cradle, so a little different from the Norton frame. looks like something between 70-80 Japanese and 60-70s british.