Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by little_miss_cowgirl, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Just putting out for some advice on manouvering roundabouts. I'm still on my L's and live in a country-ish town close to Melb. . Did my first venture into the burbs and hence my first roundabout turn - no problems but it just didnt feel right. I sort of did a mash of cornering that i do on twisties and just riding it to keep my space and not get cut off. Would appreciate any input on that one. Cheers twid.

2. Maybe go out into a deserted car park and practise doing circles of a similar diameter to a roundabout. Practise, practise, practise. Thats the best way to master a task you are having trouble with.

Practise pushing with the inside hand to control the tightness of the turn. The tighter the turn the more you want to push. And look towards the exit of the round-a-bout or pick a point on the road at the exit and focus on hitting that target.
  3. take em carefully, they tend to be banked the wrong way for turning around em (going down from the centre to the outside).
  4. I just look for my exit point after entering the rounderbout depending on road surface etc.. and the bike follows through. Just look where you want to go.
  5. You'll find most smaller roundabouts are off camber so you need to be over on the tyre more than you realise.

Takes a bit of getting used to. May help to ride the back brake a bit to keep it over.
  6. Don't be afraid to use the whole lane.

I have a tendency to go really close to the roundabout which means the turn has to be tighter and there is also the chance that one of your tyres might catch the edge of the roundabout where the surface changes. I've had my rear tyre step out a few times because I've caught the edge of the roundabout and it isn't fun.

I usually take roundabouts in third if I'm going through or second if I'm turning. Once you've got it leant over just keep on the throttle and if you need to tighten it up further then use the back brake, as has already been suggested.

Just think of roundabouts as hairpins / chicanes :grin:
  7. I had the same feeling when I started off but what I did is jus pretend that its one of ur turns and do it like it is. This will make if feel more easier. I have to go through at least 6 round abouts a day. 3 in the morning and 3 at the end of the day.

What you can do is just find an empty round about and keep on going round it. If possible start on a wider radius first. Then work ur way 2 smaller ones. Make sure there's no traffic and the surface is relitivly clean(no oils, gravel on the road). Keep going until you feel its getting mre natural or until it feels right.

At times people said I go through round abouts leaning 50 degrees or so. It might explain y im leaning so much since I go through them at 50-60ks when empty.
  8. a lot of roundabouts here tend to have oil and grime in the centre of the lane, + many are also cement which means dangerous when wet.

I also tend to stay closer to the inside where its a tighter turn but i just feel safer doing this.
  9. Hi Twid.
    Roundabouts can be a bit daunting at first, since there's alot going on...cars from all directions. :)

Don't be afraid to drag your rear brake a little for stability, and remember to look up and around to where you are going - not immediately in front of you, which is the tendency for alot of riders.
    Lane position is variable...just whatever works for a given roundabout, but in general...just stick to the centre of the lane.

Careful with roundabouts...they cop alot of spillage from cars/trucks, so they can be slippery. (wet or dry - depending on your speed)
  10. roundabouts

Thanks for the replies gives me something to work on - need to form a more positive relationship with my rear brake I think plus probably havent got my head in the right spot! Still dont totally trust that i shouldnt be looking at whats going on around me! Heres to tomorrow.
  11. Lots of accidents happen on roundabouts, so always be careful of debris.

Also try staying in a relatively high gear, because yur throttle will be less twitchy.
  12. But not too high a gear that you come close to stalling - lol - been there done that a few times ... :LOL:
  13. If theres one thing I know about its roundabouts.I've been looking after the gardens in the middle of all the roundabouts in our town for the last 12 years and I see hundreds of cars/bikes go past me every day.
    * The worst thing people do is cut through the lanes,starting on the outside lane,then cutting into the inside then back to the outside lane when exitting the roundabout.They rarely bother to look to see who is on their inside before cutting in.
    * Especially in a tourist area where you get people who don't encounter roundabouts much,beware of cars on the outside lane who suddenly decide they need to turn right and cut off whoever is on the inside.
    *I regularly have people stop next to me while I'm working and ask directions to the highway,the beach,whatever,regardless of cars/bikes following behind them. Absolutely no sense of direction.
    * Take just as much care negotiating a roundabout that you can see right through as you would one thats full of greenery. Fair enough you can't see oncoming traffic through the one with the gardens in but at least they'll be moving slowly.People take much less care and drive much faster through a roundabout that they THINK they can see right through but its amazing how easy it is to miss a bike or whatever that wasn't there a second ago. I feel much safer working on a roundabout with established gardens in than a newly planted one.
    I know this may not be what you had in mind with your enquiry but when I saw the word 'roundabout ' I couldn't resist.Hope it helps either way.
  14. Hmmm you live in healsville
    Just do a couple of runs up an down the spur you be right then :LOL:
  15. Don't get too carried away thou when headin straight thru chicane style, remember to check right :)
  16. Round-a-bout fear

Yes I must say I had real fear at round-a-bouts.I felt like leaning to get through them was a massive effort(California Superbike School here I come)as I rode more around them, as I am in Belgrave my confidence built.The one thing I found that would help me was to get back on the Bicycle and do tight circles and curves!!!REALLY! The thing that shattered me was the day I was going off for the practice ride to Emerald,which is a right turn at a round-a-bout.I looked to my right and saw a green hyundai ready to go through from my right at an excessive speed(no cautionary approach)I was ready to go through before that but braked as he was not stopping,as I braked(both front and back)I seriously could sense that the guy behind me WASNT STOPPING.I remember being upright then down on the ground.I looked up an realised that his bumper bar was just behind my head.Lots of F words and stay 3 seconds behind and at least ONE car space came out of my mouth.This is a worst case senario, I dont blame a guy who is 60 something who has never had an accident,or an lplater who is supercautious.Another cautionary tale,perhaps not what you asked for, but worthwhile none the less.P.S trust the lean