Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Roundabouts – The natural habitat of the blind and the stupid

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Ham, Oct 2, 2009.

1. I was heading home from work yesterday afternoon. I stopped at a roundabout with a car in front of me and a car stopping behind me. We waited for the cars on our right to go through. When it was free the car in front starts to go through followed me one car length behind and the then the car behind me about half a car length behind me. There was a dirty white Hyundai sedan to the left of us with a straggle haired woman in the driver’s seat. I covered the brakes as she was looking the other way and sure enough as soon as the first car went past she pulled out in front of me. I braked and gave her a liberal toot of the horn. When she heard the horn her head whipped around and with her eyes wide with fright she stopped dead in the middle of the roundabout. The car behind me has slammed on the breaks and also stopped in the middle of the roundabout.

Rather than looking embarrassed, giving a wave or at least driving off this crazy woman started screaming and gesturing at me. Her window was up but I could detect the expletives. After a solid 5 seconds of screaming (it seemed like a longer when you’re parked in a roundabout) I waved her on out of the way. She gave me the finger and sped off.

What is wrong with some people? I am on a motorcycle so I am in the wrong? You give way to your right unless it is a motorcycle? It would have been all okay if she acknowledged her mistake, but clearly some people are just retarded. End rant.

2. Give way to the right does not apply at roundabouts.
    Having said that, it sounds like she's one of those drivers that goes through life oblivious to what's happening around her. It's always annoying to have someone in the wrong abuse you when you blow your horn at them. Times like that you can understand so-called "road rage".

3. Drugs are a terrible curse on society, eh?
  4. Round abouts are the modern Russian Roulette game for us on bikes but apart from you not understanding the give way rules at them, you did the right thing.
    If you were in the round about first she should have given way to you but because you ride a bike and treat every other road user as if they're trying to kill you to had the brakes covered so well done. You live to fight another day......
  5. I think you'll find it does... Lifted from the RTA Site

The Traffic already of the roundabout will be approaching from the Right...
  6. Regardless, you must give way to all vehicles already in a roundabout and those approaching.

It seems that the expletives and gesticulating are usually triggered when they are identified as at fault. It would then follow that there are two natural reactions when ones does something wrong; admit fault or blame someone else. Unfortunately the later is becoming too common.
  7. + on froggys post, despite being in the wrong its natural for peoples first reaction to often be mega defensive. Hopefully once she'd cooled down she might have realised she could have nearly killed you and was in the wrong.. hopefully.. I cling to hope, but sadly most people are indeed utter fools.
  8. No, it doesn't. That might usually be the result, but you actually have to give way to anyone who enters the roundabout before you - even those on your left.
    You do not need to wait for those on your right (unless they have already entered the roundabout (or, as happens too often, are going too fast)).

9. It's just a defence mechanism. I bet down the road she would have been feeling pretty bad about it.

I was involved in the world's least serious car crash on wednesday, a guy hit me as we were stopped and about to pull into traffic, on an especially tight and busy part of the pacific highway near the entrance to the F3 at hornsby. Both got out, not a scratch on either car, had a chuckle about it and went on our way. Why can't they all be like that? I reckon the other person's reactions will pretty much mirror yours. If you are civil about it then (hopefully) most of the time they will be too. Sitting on the horn does nothing positive.
  10. So if I enter a roundabout first, go slow, and a car later approaches me from the right, I technically still have right of way? It could be, Stivor, that you have pointed to a major problem in the writing of this law...
    Give way to the right would be so much better.

(Has no bearing on OP).
  11. Yep. Of course, driving too slowly anywhere is bad driving, whether you have right of way or not. I don't think the roundabout law is necessarily a bad one - the problem is just that not enough people know how it works.

There are 2 main problems as I see it at roundabouts:
    - people approaching too quickly (believing those on their left have to give way)
    - people approaching too slowly (believing they have to give way to someone 3 kms up the road)

12. I stand corrected... My Bad.
  13. The more I think about this rule, the more it seems to me that if everyone followed it implicitly (instead of using common sense), then roundabouts wouldn't work at all. And those accidents that did occur would be higher impact.
  14. Or people like browny, who go up and over the round-about instead of around it - eh browny? :)
  15. the thing that gets on my tits is that everywhere else in Victoria it is compulsory to indicate when you make a manoever, even if there is no other vehicle in sight. On a roundabout, you only need to indicate to leave 'if convenient' or 'if practical' or some such wording. How many times have you sat waiting for some idiot to come past only to find they take the exit before you without indicating?
  16. Yeah, you're right; that is very annoying. I usually indicate left before leaving a roundabout if I have turned right, but the majority of drivers don't.

Even worse are the ones that indicate left before entering the roundabout and then go straight ahead... doesn't happen often but it happens!

17. did someone say roundabouts???

:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:
  18. i'm pretty sure roundabout laws vary from state to state.
    but my thinking was that in Vic you gave way to the right and indicated when entering the roundabout...but i don't really know...who cares anyway, not me, that's for sure...
    anyway i think we're all missing the point, you were supposed to kick her side mirror off.:tantrum::sick:
  19. Yep.
    The other day an Alfa Romeo went into the round-a-bout opposite me and didnt indicate. I was waiting i saw he had no blinkers and i pushed off into the roundabout and hes gone around the roundabout without indicating and seen me right in front of him. Needless to say he dropped the anchors haha and i just looked at him and shook my head and sped off. Those stupid European Cars with there Stupid drivers think they own the road.
  20. I find that slowly getting off my bike and standing up tends to get people to hurry the hell away.

On a more serious note, we drive on the left side of the road and use roundabouts in a clockwise direction. Thus, traffic approaches from the right. I find that I can, and will, enter a roundabout if there is traffic on the far side and no-one entering from (or continuing past) the entrance directly to my right hand side.

Cheers - boingk