An extract from my blog. Now as most of you know, me and Lana have a planned 3-4 month round Oz trip planned. Orginal plan is on the back of a bike, the 1150GS in particular. Unfortunately Lana's knees haven't recovered enough, after a day's riding she can't walk. So that's out the window. This left us with the following options. * Attach a sidecar * Both go in a car * Postpone the trip * I go solo * Car and Bike Option 1. Sidecar. Bleech. I do know at some point I will get an outfit, but for now, nope, not an option. Option 2. We went camping out to Cowra a few weeks ago. Driving up there, I was getting the Joneses bad for a fix, esp whenever I saw a bike whizzing by. I'd be whinging non-stop if we're both in the car. Option 3. After getting the GS only a month or so ago, I'm loathe to do this. Also life has a way of stopping this stuff happening again. Option 4. A week, maybe 2 would be fine. Any more than that I'll be going a little stir crazy. Option 5. Looks to be what we are going to do, but it raises a bunch of other issues/problems There's multiple options issues here. Comms I've got fairly well sorted. I can hook up a CB on the bike via helmet, and in car. Gives a 5 km range of communications. Okay if stops are fairly well documented. Now here's the issue of the car & bikes. Adding a car to the trip is going to boost cost of trip by about 3k. That's servicing costs + fuel. It will boost my piece of mind a bunch though, having two vehicles. But that brings me to another issue. Our car. The mazda is falling apart. Doing a main highway run, I've got no issues with it. It breaks down badly, we dump it and move on. It does mean any of the more remoter trackes (including fraser) are out. Which also gives me the freedom to either take the Monster or BMW. The Mazda ain't going to go anywhere the Monster can't go. And I love that bike. But after thinking about it, and how long it takes to get parts, the Ducati ain't a good idea for a longer trip. So option B. Get a 4wd. I've taken a look and we can get a reasonable one for around 10k. Now we're going to lose 2k at least on the sale at the end, plus a 1k in stamp duty. Means that adds an extra 6k to the trip costs + an extra 8k outlay which we'll get back. Now since our budget was 15k, almost half of that is gone on the car itself. Ouch. But having a cage along means we can pack a lot of stuff, making camping out a breeze. Getting the 4wd does mean we can go a lot of places I wanted to go, even including a few tracks that the GS wouldn't have been able to do unaided! (Fraser, Stylezki track, etc). And with two vehicles, the chances of both of them breaking down in the same area are slim, removes a lot of the safety issues at the back of my mind. Anyway, I've got till the end of the month to decide. Whether we do the trip at all, do it on the Monster/Mazda combo, GS/Mazda, or GS/4wd. Decisions, decisions.