Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rough idle / hesitation after picking up from panel beaters

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by CBRKelly, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Hey folks,

Before i spin up the issue, my bike is a 93 Honda CBR-1000F.

Keeping in mind my mechanical knowledge is basically useless, I left my bike with a panel beater for a couple weeks following an incident where someone pushed it over in the city recently.... He's done a magnificent job on it but err, when I picked her up today, she ran like arse... i put it down to not having been started in couple weeks but it didnt get better when it warmed up, nor all the way home.

I'm experiencing very rough idle, now i know being a carburetor engine you will always get a bit of needle dancing/fluctuation on the tacho but its FAR worse then ever been before, and under average acceleration you can feel the odd bit of hesitation /pull back..

I think its safe to say its gotta be the fuel system, or has it? the bike runs 98 octane fuel which apparently goes off fairly quick, but i've run it on that for 2 yrs now and never had the bike run like this on me. Plus i had the carbies balanced by Honda amongst a bunch of other things done (cam chain / tensioner replaced) a mere 1,000kms ago.

Another symptom i noticed upon getting the bike home (leaving it running on its side stand while i open garage) is when i pulled bike back off side stand to ride it into garage it gave me the clear indication it was hoping to stall out but then it shifted itself back up the normal 900ish rpms,.... so didnt like being moved back to centre which its NEVER done on me before..

Somethings obviously gunked up / shit itself.. suggestions on what to check? as mentioned, my mechanical knowledge is useless... could be a trip to Geoff Taylor Honda in Dandenong i fear.. problem is they'll no doubt charge me $500+ to do something simple....

OOOORRR, i could chuck a helpful young chap here a couple of slabs of beer/spirits of their choice to come and investigate (im in sth eastern burbs of melbourne, berwick to be exact)

Cheers for any help you might have on this one folks, i really appreciate it.. HATE my baby running badly