Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rossi Resigns

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by rc36, Aug 2, 2005.

1. Whoops, that should read Rossi Re-Signs

SIX-time world champion Valentino Rossi will ride for Yamaha in MotoGP next season after extending his contract until the end of 2006, the Yamaha Motor Company has announced.

The news ends speculation the 26-year-old Italian, who is well on course for a fifth consecutive MotoGP world title, might switch to Formula One or rallying in the short-term.

Rossi joined an uncompetitive Yamaha works team from dominant Honda at the end of the 2003 season, and immediately upset his former employer by claiming the 2004 championship.

"I am so happy to be able to announce the continuation of my relationship with Yamaha," Rossi said.

"Last year was magic, to win my first race with Yamaha, and then to win the championship ... it just made sense to stay with Yamaha for another year."

2. so, for those of encyclopaedic knowledge....

..... what are the total figures for 500cc/Motogp world champoinships, broken down by manufacturer? Gut feeling would be honda, then yamaha, then suzuki??
  3. That's excellent. Now we can all get some sleep. :D
  4. Re: so, for those of encyclopaedic knowledge....

500c commenced in 1949...Constructors titles =

MV Agusta = 18
    Honda = 13
    Yamaha = 11
    Gilera & Suzuki = 6
    Norton = 1

Since the first Japanese win (Agostini, Yamaha, 1975) your gut feeling is correct.
  5. MV Agusta are rumoured to be re-entering the competitive motorcycle racing arena...any truth in this?
  6. Rossi is one man who demonstates that constructor championships are not about construction at all, but instead its about the rider that the constructors can sign on to ride thier bikes.
  7. Don't forget that it is a team effort. I reckon that Burgess is as significant a factor as Rossi.

The greatest thing about Rossi is the speed with which he can learn something and apply it to both his riding and the development of the bike. Unbelievable.

(The 'no lose' attitude helps a tad too, mind you.)
  8. MV Augusta in MotoGP would be excellent!
    It's kinda like my wish to have Porsche in F1. Last time they were was like '52 or somethin
  9. I think they are entering the Superbikes either late this year, or next year. You can already buy the gazillion dollar race rep model F4 Supercorse limited edition model. Individually numbered by virginal mermaids all for your drooling pleasure.

10. Porsche ran their own F1 team from about 1962 to 1965 and then later supplied engines to McLaren who used them for a number of years in the early 90's

(sorry, I don't have the exact dates, I'm at work)