Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rossi on Stoner - hardest rival i've ever had

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by pringa8, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Glowing report from the Champion on Stoner.

Rossi warns of tougher battles with Stoner
    Italian motorcycling superstar Valentino Rossi warns it will only get tougher to stop rival Casey Stoner after he regained the world crown by pipping the defending champion.

The Yamaha ace, dubbed the Doctor for his cool and clinical planning and racing, credited the 22-year-old Australian as being perhaps the toughest opponent he has ever battled.

"I think Stoner next year will be back stronger again," Rossi, 29, said as he wrapped up his sixth premier-class title, and the first in three years, at the Japanese Grand Prix on Sunday.

"So maybe he is the hardest rival I have ever had, more than (Sete) Gibernau and all the others I fought against in the past."

Gibernau was the main challenger for Rossi's crown until 2005. The Spanish firebrand retired when Stoner replaced him at Ducati for 2007.

It was at Motegi that Stoner crushed Rossi's title hopes last year when the Australian finished sixth and the Italian dropped to 13th with brake trouble.

"Last year I was sorry that after so many successful years, some people thought Valentino was finished and Casey was the new Valentino," said Rossi.

But Rossi said that this year, "I rode the best of my career."

"I think 2009 will be even more difficult than this year," Rossi said. "But first I want to finish this year and try to win the final three races."

In their latest duel here, Rossi overtook Stoner with 11 laps to go and beat him by 1.943 seconds, ending their battle for the title. Rossi gained an unbeatable 92-point lead with three more races remaining in the season.

Honda ace and Spaniard Dani Pedrosa finished third and is placed third in the MotoGP standings, 11 points behind Stoner.

Rossi's five-year reign in 500cc and MotoGP ended in 2006 when he lost to Nicky Hayden despite winning five races against two for the former US Superbike champion.

"As I said, until I stop riding a bike, my objective will always be to win," said Rossi. "There are many strong riders but of course I hope that in the future nobody will win like Valentino Rossi."

Resurgent Rossi

Rossi's fortunes have turned this year after he managed to acquire Bridgestone tyres, which proved a technical edge over Michelin and helped Stoner triumph last year, despite Yamaha's longtime ties with the French supplier.

After struggling to find a tyre-machine balance in his Yamaha M1 in the first three races, Rossi won the fourth round in China.

But Stoner took three straight rounds - in Britain, the Netherlands and Germany - in June and July after his Ducati GP8's electronics control was upgraded.

Rossi stopped Stoner's winning streak at the US GP in Laguna Seca on July 20. Stoner, starting from his fifth straight pole position, fought tail-to-nose with Rossi but he slid onto the gravel with nine laps to go and finished second.

Rossi also won a storm-shortened inaugural event at the legendary Indianapolis Speedway two weeks earlier, breaking the previous mark of 68 set by countryman Giacomo Agostini more than 30 years ago.

Stoner said, "I'm just disappointed that we made two mistakes in the mid-point of the season that allowed him (Rossi) to open up such a big advantage."

Rossi has won eight races and Stoner four so far in the 18-round season.

"He's had an amazing season. He only made one mistake at Assen," the Australian said, referring to Rossi's spill in the opening lap of the June 28 Dutch GP in which he finished 11th.

Stoner is already focused on his home Grand Prix at Phillip Island next Sunday, saying he hoped to "finish the season strongly."

2. Common knowledge that Stoner is not in Valentinos league.
  3. Another example of Rossi's excellent sportsmanship, nothing more!
  4. Rossi can outrace him, and knows it.
  5. Well gentlemen, is not that racing?
  6. Very Nice.
  7. Rossi is truly a professional with great sportsmanship.
    Gotta give 22yo stoner credit though ...
  8. yea... i wish there were more races like that in laguna seca
  9. GIve stoner his dues- not nearly as experienced as rossi, and nipping at his heels. Not quite as good yet- but give him time and refinement. but not to take anything away from rossi- he is a true champion.

I first watched stoner race in the 125's way back. The first race i watched i literally said I will have to follow this bloke
  10. Common knowledge that Stoner is not in Valentinos league.[/quote]

I beg to differ. He is in his league. It's called MotoGp. Stoner won the championship last year. He is in his league. He won four races and challenged him in several others. He certainly is in his league. Adding up all the race times of both riders. There is only 0.124% difference. He certainly is in his league. I think you just have the Rossi blinkers on.
  11. I beg to differ. He is in his league. It's called MotoGp. Stoner won the championship last year. He is in his league. He won four races and challenged him in several others. He certainly is in his league. Adding up all the race times of both riders. There is only 0.124% difference. He certainly is in his league. I think you just have the Rossi blinkers on.[/quote]

Sad that you do not understand that at the top level horsepower means bucketloads.
    The Yamaha is much closer this year than last....Blinkers, I think not.
  12. It musn't be that common... I haven't heard it...

I would say that when the majority of races seem to have the same two blokes at the pointy end, that would suggest they're well within each others leagues on race day at least.

But I do agree that Rossi is a special case, 8 world champs - that does put him in a league of his own...
  13. The difference between good and great is about that much, but it is at least a difference.

It may look small on paper but on the track it is a lifetime.
  14. I am sure that when they are both retired, valid comparisons will be made.
  15. I have to agree with both of those sentiments! Rossi was the first person to congratulate Stoner on Sunday after his victory, it happened right near where I was standing and was genuine. Stoner rode a hell of a race to win, though Hayden took it up to him for the first half at least (be interesting to see how he goes next year on the Ducati, darned well I expect!). Stoner's win was well deserved but Rossi's amazing ride to come from 12th on the grid and overtake Hayden on the last lap to take 2nd was nothing short of incredible! The 2009 season promises to be the best ever, especially if Suzuki can get their bikes competitive as well.
  16. Don't rely on that.
  17. are you doubting the suzuki team's ability, rog?
    Cos i certainly am. Those poor bastards were down 17kph or so on top speed at phillip island, and it really killed them. i'd like to think they can get their shit together by next year, but judging on their past performances, you'd have to doubt it. Shame, when their road bikes are the best things on two wheels out there...
  18. That's not necessarily so, either
  19. ride one. it is.