Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rolling the throttle to start - Intruder VL 250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by FoxRiderJ, Jun 17, 2011.

1. So recently the only way to start the Suzi has been to roll the throttle, after multiple attempts, otherwise she'll just kick over and over again. Up until last week she used to start first go.

Is there a potential problem with the starter, and are there any long term negative effects by rolling the throttle on startup?
  2. souunds like u need to use the choke if its carby.
  3. If your starting process is changing then it could also mean it needs a service/tune......
    Worth doing rather than over using your starter and wearing it (and battery) out quicker.. IMO
  4. It is carby, and i do start with the choke in various positions... still cranks.

Might get it checked out, she's done over 3000km's since i've had her anyway... so probably due for a service. Thanks for the help!
  5. If you have to roll the throttle as you are pushing the starter, then it is flooding.

Try without choke.

but it does sound like the carbs need some tlc and possible a differnt idle jet.

Try without choke and let us know.
  6. Ibast, your suggestion works great. Guess it just became a force of habit due to the cold weather, that i automatically choke her upon initial starts.

Thanks for putting up with my noobness.
  7. Normally in winter you will require more choke. So could be a sign that the bike needs a tune and/or cars need attention.
  8. yep at a minimum you need an idle jet screw adjustment.