Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Roll Or Fold??

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by ametha elf, Nov 20, 2010.

1. I'm riding from Brisbane to Mackay next month, but my luggage rack isnt arriving until after I leave (isnt that always the way) so my available packing space is limited to 2 saddlebags, a roll bag, a tool bag and backpack. Sooo, I was wondering if any of you long distance riders out there know if you can pack more by rolling, or folding clothes? Any other suggestions? Glad its the middle of summer so will be travelling light!!!

2. Its like the old adage about filling a jar...
    you start with big rocks, then add pebbles and shake around to fill the spaces, then add sand to fill the other spaces, then add water to fill the spaces

folding fills space better (more efficiently) thus leaving all that spare space that would be around rolled things freed up to fill with something else
  3. Iv'e always been a roller. Having back packed around Europe for five years I found I could always get more in and if you roll them well they don't wrinkle up as bad.
    Just remember to pack the bike right. Heavy stuff low in the saddle bags to the lightest in the back pack. Try and keep it balanced.
  4. Fold.

Pack fresh undies / bra for every day
    basic toiletries
    1 pair of shoes (chucks, sandles or thongs - thay take up less space)
    2 fresh shirts for every day (except the last day & first day)
    1 pair of jeans /shorts

That can all fit in an average backpack so should have space to spare if you have saddle bags
  5. The carry gear you have will give a reasonable amount of room.
    I roll most stuff, you can roll garments tighter more often than folding. Rolling avoids the worst of creasing too...you're not packing an iron too are you?
    Things that you are most likely to grab on the go,like an extra layer for under your jacket should be packed at the top or in your back pack for quick access.
    Have a practice session with the stuff you intend to take...lay it all out then discard all but the must haves like jocks and socks..ok just socks.
    Once that's packed you can see how much room you have left in your pack.Then you can add (or not depending on the amount of room) those items that are nice to have but not mission critical.
    Keep in mind that your bike is your primary transport while you are away. So any day that you ride will be catered for by your riding gear. You only need what you would wear under it.
    Depending on where you stay will depend how you clean the stuff you have too. If you are staying with good mates or 'lations you can drop your derps into the washing machine. If you are roughing it or staying in a motel (my wife's idea of roughing it) then you need to get creative about laundering. Sinks,showers and buckets have all been used to restore some garments back to a state that resembles clean and fresh.
    Remember to pack into garbage bags for some waterproofy protection..ya just never know,there are few things worse than soggy derps and socks.
  6. Thanks for all your ideas. We will be either camping or staying in motels on the way up (depending on how sore we are at the end of each day!!!) then with rellies for a couple of days.
  7. finally looked at a map :)

two day trip up taking it easy - should be easy to pack pretty light
  8. Roll your clothes. You can, contrary to popular belief, fit more in and your clothes don't crease as much, if at all.

Also, if you are taking extra shoes, you can fit smaller items like underwear inside them. Or you can put your deoderant can in one shoe and your soap, toothbrush/toothpaste in the other. Either way it's more saved space.

Although if you want to pack really light when touring, you only need underwear and a credit card.
  9. Another rolling convert here - you just can't fit as much in with folding, and actually squuzing a folded garment into a bag is a pain in the ass.

Ditto the trick on toiletries in shoes as I find that otherwise they take up far too much room (the shoes).

Oh yes, remember to freeload hotel soaps and shampoos - they make good travel sized toiletries. I have a stash at home so if I'm heaing out somewhere I'll just grab one of each and I'm set.

Cheers - boingk
  10. I roll, but I fold the items first (if that makes sense??). The folding makes sure the items don't crumple, and the rolling ensures that it's all packed as tightly as possible.
  11. I've just ridden Sydney to Toowoomba and back - 2 days each way @ 940kms total one way.

Personally I'd avoid the backpack like the plague - could get very uncomfortable after 2-3 hours on the bike (waiting for someone to come along and say they've ridden 42 hours straight with a backpack and I know nothing lol)

You mention panniers - I packed my clothes in one side and my sons in the other. Rolled and put them into those bags that you squeeze all the air out of - compresses the clothes down, easy to take out of the pannier at the end of the day and waterproof. Big W has them for about $10 each.

Tankbag carried spare visors, visor cleaning rags, ipod etc. I had a Ventura rack and bag but it was only my laptop and rain suits in it. Tyre repair kit in tank bag, tool kit under the seat.
  12. Wifey and I just did our first multi-day ride over the weekend. 1200km over X3 days & x2 nights.
    For the both of us we had; X1 Large "Ventura" Bag, X2 Soft Panniers and Tank Bag.

Roll for sure.

We couldn't find our "space/vaccuum" bags so we packed our stuff in small garbage (18ltr Kitchen tidy) bags and squished all the air out before tying them off.
    I just kept the roll of bags in the tank bag (took up less room than my ciggies used to).
    Also, seperate as much as you can of your really small stuff in zip lock bags. Keeps things in order and allows you to see what's in each bag.

Are you securing your back pack to your back rest or seat as opposed to wearing it? I'm with Zaphod69, I'd be doing anything and everything to avoid wearing it..

And, Don't forget the Aeroguard and 'ave a good weekend (trip). :wink:
  13. Finn, the backpack is going on top of the roll bag. I dont think I could handle carrying that on my back for too far. Have decided to take 3 days up and go via Gayndah and Biloela to avoid the coast highway. Pretty sure we will be staying in motels due to the lack of space to carry camping gear as well. Thanks for all your help everyone. I'm really looking forward to this. Oh, by the way, I have decided rolling is the only way to go:)
  14. Where you cutting back in? Does your trip per chance take you through the Mt Morgan range? Short little run, but by god it's fun.
  15. If they have not burnt off the cane by then I would be taking a full face helmet and tear off's or wet ones.
    A mate came up from Bourke Today.
    He was a mess. Locusts. He said like a plague of them. All the way, till after Warrick. I know thats not your direction. But it is bug time and has been perfect bug weather.
  16. :LOL: +100 to the baby wipes.
    I keep a buch of them in a ziplock glad bag. Bloody life savers I tells ya.
  17. A couple of guys responded to a post of mine a couple of weeks ago saying we should go via Gayndah and come back out on the main highway to Rockhampton via Dululu and Westwood. I know absolutely nothing about the roads up that way in any direction, so am just taking their word for it being the best way to go and keeping my fingers crossed!
  18. I'm gonna go ahead and disagree. The Bruce is a pretty horrible trip, so I'm in agreement with heading up via Gayndah and Dululu, but once you hit Dululu I'd take the Burnett up through Mt Morgan and into Rocky.

As you can see from the map link, going Westwood/Gracemere is mostly straight boring road.

If you head up through Mt Morgan you get nice sweepers along a lovely scenic ride, and then just past Mount Morgan, you hit this:

The road condition is nice, and that 3km above is some of the twistiest you'll find in CQ. It's so much fun you'll want to turn around and do it again, only to turn back and hit it one more time just for kicks. I head out there after work once or twice a week for a little bit of a fix and the tourers with their bikes loaded up with luggage all seem to detour no matter where they're coming from just to have a play through there.
  19. Ok Ok Juzzy, you've convinced me. Give me twisties any day over straight and boring.