Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rogue Courier Riders in Sydney

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by TWARBI, May 3, 2008.

1. I dont want to tarnish them all with the same brush but i have noticed that the courier riders that frequent my work dont even take the time to do up the strap on their helmets between jobs!They just park up and rip them off - for what purpose? - to save a few minutes?? crazy considering the amount of hours they spend on the roads...

And while I'm at it, what is with those gloves that some seem to have permanantly attached to their bikes? once again so they can save time and slip their naked hands out in an instant to deliver a parcel...

Seems like a very dangerous case of complacency to me.

Has anyone witnessed the same thing or is it just my serviced area?? ie east...

2. They don't wear T-Shirts when it's hot do they :shock:

Maybe they get a similar exemption to cabbies who don't have to wear their seat belt :wink:

The "glove thingies" are large waterproof mittens that they can slip their hands in and out of

3. + windchill. They're freaking fantastic FYI.
    Though I'd think it dumb to not wear gloves still, as I'd imagine the first thing I'd do if I went down/over would be to pull my hands out instinctively from the mittens!

4. Tarnish away mate, I don't think anyone will be too offended.

Mittens are furry gloves made from the skins of young cats. The things you are refering to are known as "handlebar muffs". They keep your handlebars dry and warm. If you mount a set of barkbusters inside them they wont blow back onto your levers at freeway speeds, and combined with heated grips are awsome for winter commuting and touring.

Just as your arse intsinctively leaves the seat when you crash, so too your hands leave the muffs, so gloves are still a good idea but you dont need huge winter gloves, a pair of nice light summer ones will do, even in the coldest weather.

If you put your lid on and off 100 times a day you get very good at it. I have my chin strap adjusted to just clear my chin if I hold it forward, and when I put the helmet back on the chin strap resumes its normal postion and does its job as you would expect. This may be what you have seen. Anyone who rides around with thier chin strap undone is a twat.

If you are on your bike for 50 hours a week you find lots of little ways to make life easier, and yes, some of these form part of a trade-off for a little more risk, but all experienced couriers know the risks, and most manage them very well.

The bonus to all this of course is that after a while you get very, very good at riding a motorcycle through the urban jungle. ie the eastern suburbs.....

5. These guys do somewhere between gazillions and shitloads of jobs every day. Every second can count. What they do with their safety equipment is their call. I'd be a royal pain in the arse slipping on and off gloves and buttoning up your helmet every 10 minutes.

6. Why not just use a flip up helmet and leave it on???

7. yeah, it's funny how the rest of "us" soft cocks piss and moan about having to take off a helmet when its time to fill 'er up every other wk. :LOL: :p

8. EVERY motorcycle courier I've ever met has been a rogue.

I think it's part of the selection criteria.

9. Looking at the bike selection, I don't think a lot of courier drivers choose it as a career path, but fall into it. A $700 flip up helmet is a couple of sets of tyres to these blokes.

10. hey man

i live in east sydney and i have to agree with you.

although i must admit i have seen 1 or 2 who take the full precautions.

i like it when they park on the footpath then hammer it up the path and get some 'air' onto the road..

i wanna try that sometime.. haha

11. Getting some air saves banging the exhaust (or fairings if you've got any left) on the gutter.... :grin: