Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rode my new bike home

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Rookie83, Mar 20, 2016.

1. So I rode my new bike home yesterday from the dealership. Yamaha sr400. Was pretty excited, and nervous. Managed to stall it twice on the garage forecourt and almost dropped it when I put my foot down in patch of oil, but managed to get some grip and keep it together.
    Got the better half to follow me home on the 15km ride, just in case anything happened.

So what did I learn?
    Take your time. No rush, people will have to wait.
    Check where you're stopping and what you're putting your foot in.
    Make sure the the indicator is cancelled after turning. :)
    Most of all, just enjoy the ride.

Towards the end the nerves started dissaperaing and I actually had a smile on my face. It all became much easier when I started to relax.

Sure this is the case for most people who ride their bike for the first time, just wanted to share my experience.

Happy riding everyone.
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Well done mate, on your way. Plenty practice in quiet car parks to master your start (pull off), stop, slow turns, u turns etc.
  3. #3 chilliman64, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    dude better change the Vespa on your profile.

yes, master your pulling off as it is an important skill to have. :)

congrats on the new wheels!
  4. Well done Rookie83Rookie83 , Sounds like a good save. Remember same thing can easily happen at lights after a bit of rain too. I am only a couple of hundred km in but make sure I cancel indicator at first gear change (if not earlier). Find this is just a good habit and always get complimented on how I always turn them off, not like a normal noob.

As a fellow learner I don't have a lot of advice, but know what you are going through. First ride is a nervous one, now it is becoming second nature.

Practice makes perfect so don't worry so much about the km's as the time on skills. Get the feel of the clutch etc, a quite area on a weekend in straight line was wher I started. Take off, into second and come to stop in neutral. No stall, and left foot down. Haven't stalled the bike since I did this and if you can stick in left wheel track left foot rarely finds any slippery ground when you stop.

Plenty of experienced people on this site always willing to help, so read a lot of the learner threads and find an experienced rider to help critique your riding, you will be surprised how quickly you can improve.

Enjoy the ride!
  5. Nice, I know the feeling. Yesterday had a 1hr lesson on an instructors bike, never touched a bike before. Today got on my bike and did a 60km ride. Stalled 3 times at one corner, but after 15mins, I relaxed and settled in. By the time I got home I felt ready to go and do the practical test. No forgetting indicators, stalling etc. I told myself to cancel indicators before hitting 3rd gear.

Enjoy your new bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Good spot chilliman64chilliman64, profile updated, time to move on from the mighty vespa.
    I spent an hour or so in the local bunnings car park this morning just getting used to the clutch, throttle response and practising my Hill starts. I'm planning on using the bike as a commuter but want to feel confident before I tackle rush hour traffic. Biggest worry at the moment is stalling in traffic...that kick starters going to take some getting used to. But it's all part of the fun and the learning process.
  7. Congratulations and awesome effort. Bunnings car parks are good but the Master's ones are better. I spent many an hour practicing in their carpark. And yes, I'm sure we've all done the foot down on something slippery. White turn arrows in the wet are dangerous!
  8. congrats on the bike :) as mentioned Bunnings carparks are great for practice
  9. On Ya Rookie83Rookie83 That's how it's done.
    When folk come in here and say, " I've just bought a Bike and had it delivered" We all breath a collective "sigh of Disappointment"
    Riding it home from the Dealership is how it should be done.
    Best of luck with the learning curve.
    • Funny Funny x 1