Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Robert Jordan passes away

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by firefling, Sep 18, 2007.

1. For those sci fi/fantasy fans out there, The Wheel of Time is at an ending. Robert Jordan passed away on the 16th. RIP and condolences to the family

but bugger it, the series is unfinished!!
  2. Thats bad news.

But considering how many Conan and Lord of the Rings books were released after their authors deaths you may be jumping the gun a bit.....
  3. Sympathy for his friends and family, but you have to admit it is slightly humourous that there was only one book to go.

A fairly mediocre series of books, but still you want everything to finish!
  4. oh no!!
    I love Robert Jordans books

5. His passing is a great loss to the genre :(
  6. Noooooooooooooooooooo!

I was always afraid that this would happen - he'd die before finishing the series (admitedly I haven't read past about book 9 - was waiting for them to be finished).

RIP dude...

7. he knew the day was coming, so he has left extensive instructions to his wife as to how to finish the book.

so even though he died the true ending will still be written (he was mostly through the last book)
  8. Sad news but with regards to the Wheel of time series. They nosedived sooooo much after book 5 or 6 from memory. His extreme regards to details in every scene got oh so boring! I ejoyed the first few books then just couldn't enjoy reading his later books of the Wheel of time series.
  9. Yeah it got a bit bogged down but 11 sorta picked it up again. And 12 was supposedly the last one.
  10. Agreed, it did take a turn for the worst after the first couple...they pass the time though.

Do yourself a favour and read China Mieville :).
  11. Oh no, that's so sad. :cry: Condolences to his family & friends...

*possible spoiler* I loved the first few books in the series, but after that damn massive search for the bowl (you know the one) only for it to seem like a non-plus event in the next book when it was found... I was a bit bummed.. But kept reading!

There are so few people who can hold a story like that these days (even if the middle books left a little to be desired).. Sad loss. *sigh*
  12. I havent even gotten to the wheel of time yet :( Sad for his family and friends. :( In the interests of their fans i hope they eventually finish the series. But of course totally understand if they don't.

I'm an R.A. Salvatore fan myself.
  13. Nooooooooooooooooo!

have been reading these since childhood!

Hope his wife finishes the series, esp as i've invested so many hours reading them, really any half decent ghost writer should be able to finish the last book if there's an outline.

Actually, it might end up a better book seeing how they defintely went downhill after book 5/6... waaay too drawn out imho.
  14. I agree, bugger! I wonder if any of his family or friends will complete the series.

But honestly, the really sad thing is the way he died. A particularly nasty disease: primary amyloidosis with cardiomyopathy.

See wikipedia for more details: