Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Roadworthy question

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by HondaCT, Nov 21, 2014.

  1. I'm new here so forgive the basic question I'm still trying to get my head around the system. If you're buying a bike and it has roadworthy already do you automatically have to get a new roadworthy test done because you're a new owner or can you use the roadworthy that's already on the bike?

  2. No you can use the one from the seller as long as it's still in date ! Check the date they only last for 28 days
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ahh I see. So once the roadworthy is done it's valid for 28 days and in that time you have to bring it to a VicRoads place and pay the registration and if you don't do it in the 28 days you have to get another roadworthy test done. Is that right?
  4. Yes, that's right.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ok thanks
  6. Your question's answered, but I will add that half the idea behind requiring them for every sale is to guarantee buyers don't get completely dodgy vehicles -- the pistons might melt on you next week, but there's nothing wrong with it that'd get you a TIN. Which is why it's a legal requirement for sellers to provide a roadworthy cert.

    The other half is to get vehicles checked at some point in their lives, rather than getting rattier and rattier as they work their way down to the hands of poor students...
  7. Fair enough. I wasn't saying it is a bad system in anyway I was just trying to understand how it works. Thanks for the info;-)