Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Roadworks on Maleny-Kenilworth Rd

Discussion in 'Hazardous Road Condition Reports' started by CraigA, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Just a heads up for anyone heading up into the Sunshine Coast Hinterland.

The single lane section of the Maleny-Kenilworth Rd was being dug up when I went through there this morning. Looks like they might be widening the road ( you can only hope). Roadworks are about 2 klm in length.
    Stop/go personnel on both ends and what is left of the road to ride on is dirty, quite narrow and well watered. My previously nice clean bike looked like I had just done 10 laps on the local motocross track by the time I got to Kenilworth.

Road on either end of the roadworks is dirty too, so reduced grip levels.

Not sure how long this will be going on for but its worth knowing if you are heading out that way.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Was going on couple weeks ago when I went thru there except they hadn't watered - dust was so bad had fcuk all visibility. Mind you I seem to always find roadworks - getting tired of having to wash bike and clean/oil chain after every ride!
  3. I usually ride it every weekend, but last weekend I didn't as we ventured further north.
    Two or three weeks ago the local farmers caused a bit of a stir about the state of the road, blocking the access both ways with tractors and other machinery in protest. Its too busy to be a single lane road, which is what they were bitching about, so fair enough.

It got a bit of exposure in the local media as well as a visit from the local member, who promised to get something done about it.

The following weekend I noticed that the sides of the single bitumen strip ( where you would put your left wheel if you had oncoming traffic approaching) had been topped up with road base to fill in some of the deep holes. This was causing a lot of dust and also a lot more loose gravel on the bitumen surface than usual.

Today was the first time I saw stop/go and most of the road dug up though, so thought it was worth letting everyone interested know about it. If you were planning a 400klm round trip from Brisbane for example, perhaps it would be a road you would prefer to avoid at the moment.
  4. rest of the road is really nice ride though!
  5. Yep, definitely.
    It is a busy road though, and if you hit a few cars on that narrow section it can be a bit unnerving, so I sympathise with the farmers.
    An improved stretch there would benefit everyone who uses it.