Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Roadworks - metal sheets

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Stupendous, Nov 30, 2013.

1. I've got a roundabout near where I live, and a whole section of it is covered with those metal sheets the use for roadworks.
    The sheets are covering huge pot holes that were growing larger by the day.

Was wondering how to properly navigate the roundabout, especially when wet? I've so far avoided that area completely and taken the long way home because I wasn't sure what kind of traction it'll give. I have seen someone on a dirt bike just go over the roundabout, but I reckon that's not quite legal?

Hoping to hear your thoughts.

2. Me, personally, I'd stick to the long way around. Those metal plates are slick as shyte in the dry and like oil on glass in the wet. If you can't hit them dead straight and dead upright you're close the certain to go down if there's even the slightest moisture on them, let alone a splash of diesel or dropped oil. Avoid!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. They talk about "culpable driving", but how is putting slick metal plates in the road surface (especially on a roundabout or corner) not a "culpable road". I just can't understand how they're allowed to do it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thanks guys!
  5. Good advice from all. Avoid at all cost.

I still want to know how these 'steel sheets of death' are so common on our roadways? Sure you need to cover a hole, but get some form of compound on those things to give them some grip! Crazy stuff!
  6. That's logical thought, VicRoads and our government don't have much of that.
  7. Take the corner slow and as upright as possible. No real reason you can't ride it. Just your own confidence stopping you.