Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Roadside Flat Tyre

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Rokster, Mar 11, 2007.

1. After spending the better part of a beautiful Saturday afternoon by the side of the road with a flat tyre, I've got to ask the following...

What do you guys do with a flat ? Do you fix it ? Or replace it completely... It's brand bloody new.. less than 1000km's on it, and the hole is through the thickest part of the surface.

And do you carry one of those fix-it kits to fix alongside the road ? Or do you rely on someone to come and pick you up ?

Thanks !
  2. Just get the punchure repaired. If you can fit a can of that tyre repair stuff on your bike it wont hurt to have it, If not just have to call someone.
  3. I have a puncture repair kit under my seat. I have one of those cord type kits and a co2 cartridge inflator. Total price was about $50. I was cought out a few months ago when I got a puncture 150km from home. I rode on a flat tyre for 25km to the nearest town and they had nothing at all to repair it with so I bought a packet of self tapping screws and screwed one into the tyre. It got me to the next town where I bought a can of tyre weld. After riding on the tyre when it was flat I had to replace it. The cord type plugs are a temporary repair only so the tyre would need to be repaired with a mushroom plug but they will get you out of trouble
  4. I have $20 trye repair in a can, in my tool roll that's always on my bike for when that day comes.

The guy at the bike shop said he used it and never had any trouble ,and the new type is easy to clean up and repair ,when he get's it done properly by a professional a few days or a few hundred km's later.
    I was going to buy the $60 road side repair kit ,the one were you cut holes into the tyre and glue plugs in ect ect .
    He said don't bother ,but if doing a interstate ride ,it wouldn't hurt to get one.
  5. Always carry a cord type kit, these will get you out of most issues and get you home, just make sure if you carry CO2 cartridges, they you have a few of them especially if the tyre is a large one.
    I prefer to have a small bycicle pump on hand, it is hard work getting in inflated, but saves you from riding on an underinflated tyre for what could be miles.

My bike is also in the NRMA premium care, that way if I am reall stuck, I get looked after.
  6. I also carry the cord type repair kit. I got one from Kmart for under $30. I also picked up a small double action bicycle hand pump, which is about 150mm long and fits almost anywhere on a bike. Teh double action is good because it means it's pumping air every time it moves, not just one way.
    Sure it takes ages to pump up a tyre but it beats walking!

Regards, Andrew.
  7. Have the cord type, and a small compressor that runs off the battery.
    They live in the ventura bag.
    If I need to take stuff in the bag - the ride is long enough to have the extra protection.

It works like a talisman. If you are prepared - you won't need it.
    Leave it at home - and you will need it.

8. OOOOHHH no it doesn't :(

I've always carried the cord/plug glue and CO2 type, thinking that now I'm safe... then I got three flats (one cut, two nails) in three weeks........

The repair kit got me going every time, dead easy, great value.
    I replaced the tyre the first two times, cos I didn't trust the plugs, then when I got the third, potentially another $280 to get a new tyre fitted after just one week, I was getting really pee'd off (and poor).

I spoke to a few hard-core touring friends who regularly do mega-kilometre trips, fully loaded and often at scary speeds, they say that they've done these trips with up to three plugs fitted, and never had a problem.

Sooo, my tyre is plugged, and has done at least 1,200 k's with not one bit of trouble.

Warning for the "repair in an aerosol" doo-hickeys. They often use hydrocarbon based propellant, which is flammable, and in a confined, pressurised space, flammability=explosive. If you use it, ensure that you completely deflate, and re-inflate the tyre with air at the nearest servo. AND tell the guys who replace the tyre that it's been used, for-warned is for-armed.

9. my local bob jane fixes punctures for 20 bucks, good for long term repairs
  10. I carry and have used the cord type repair kit, works fine.

I carry enough co2 catridges for an inflate. If you can fit a hand pump i recommend that as well. Saves money, i.e. hand inflate until it gets tiring then finish with the co2. will save you at least a cartridge.
  11. Thanks guys for all the info,

I'm now the proud owner of a roadside cord-repair + CO2 kit...

here's to hoping I don't have to use it
  12. Thanks for the advice about spray cans, JJ. I carry a can of goo and so far (touch wood) haven't had to use it.

I'd be interested in other people's experiences with spray cans, particularly whether they've been given a hard time when presenting a tyre full of gunk to a tyre dealer and asking them to repair it...
  13. Gromit,

I've emptied half a can of TyreWeld into my tire to get it to the shop. They complained hard and loud, and did their best to make me buy a new one.. I just told them to stuff it and fix it, or put the tire back on and I'll take it to someone who will.

I did have to get a new valve though.. which is to be expected I guess.
  14. Just checked my can - it's Motul Tyre Repair.

I'm riding up to Canberra in a couple of weeks, maybe I should play it safe and pick up a repair kit. :-k
  15. Tyre shops hate it when you ride in with a tyre full of tyreweld or similar.
    The repair in a can works reasonably well most of the time, but often won't last long, but sometimes will last the life of the tyre, but leaving it as a permenant repair isn't recommended.

The chord type plugs work quite well, and have a better success rate, and again can last the life of the tyre but should be replaced with a mushroom type plug.