Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Roadside EPA noise test?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Fa1c0n, Jan 20, 2014.

1. I was wondering if there is such a thing as a roadside noise test?
    I was under the impression that you had to go to an accredited EPA tester should you get the notice in the mail.

However I heard rumours that there is such a thing as a roadside noise test - as in they test you and fine you on the spot?
    Is this the case? Does this occur?
    What is the penalty?

2. Not possible without taking the vehicle to an isolated area. Too much traffic noise to get any reasonable result roadside.

3. I'm fairly sure that the EPA has at least once set up a temporary noise testing station on Phillip Island during GP week, but I don't think it's the standard practise.
    EPA has also set up roadside cameras triggered by noise, but not sure if they are still in operation (you still needed to get an official test done).

• Agree Agree x 1

4. Interesting...
    I just saw on another forum, guy on a loud HD said he got tested on the roadside and got a $700 fine.

5. Think of it like a roadside RBT station. It is an 'indicative test'. If the test shows you under you're sent on your way. If the test shows you are over they will then send you for a further evidentiary test.

6. These roadside tests have been done in the past. One weekend the cops had their RBTs, roadworthy guys, the EPA and sheriffs officers giving motorists (mostly motorcyclists, though) the twice over.

At the time the penalty for noisy exhausts was over 500 bux. One popular site was Kew Boulevard...

7. As long as they comply with these requirements from the
    National Stationary Exhaust Noise Test Procedures for In-Service Motor Vehicles taken from the
    3. TEST SITE AMBIENT REQUIREMENTS
    3.1 The measurements shall be made in the open air where both the ambient and wind
    noise levels are at least 10dB(A) below the noise level being measured.
    The site may take the form of an open space or beneath a canopy if no part of the
    canopy or its supports is within 3 metres of the microphone being used in the test.
    The test site within 3 metres of the microphone(s) must be substantially flat and may
    include kerbs, channels, gutter, poles or other objects not providing excessive acoustic
    reflection provided that no such object is within 1 metre of the microphone.
    3.2 Measurements shall not be made under adverse weather conditions unless the test site
    is located beneath a canopy meeting the requirements of 3.1 above. Any sound peak
    that appears to be unrelated to the characteristics of the vehicle shall be ignored in
    taking the readings. If a windscreen is used, its influence on the sensitivity and the
    directional characteristics of the microphone shall be taken into account.
    3.3 Whilst testing is in progress no person other than any occupants of the vehicle or, in
    the case of a motor cycle, the rider, shall be within 1 metre of the microphone in use.
    No person or object other than the testing officer and an observer or the objects
    necessary for the performance of the test shall be within 3 metre of the microphone in
    use.

8. Question: How do they test the bike? Do they have it idling? Do they demand its guts be revved out of it?

9.  Top
  10.  Top

11. probably because he had straight out pipes, like 90% of Harleys in my area :mad:

they wake up my kids at night and generally make douches of themselves!

Al