Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Roads to avoid around Sydney

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Yudi, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Hi all,

I will be moving from Brisbane to Sydney soon to start studying at University of Sydney. I am thinking of moving to a suburb around 10 to 15 Kms from the city.

Which routes are best for commuting to the city, I would like to avoid slow moving traffic. I am currently looking at renting around Campsie.

Thank you
  2. That so funny,good luck with that around Newtown
  3. Best bet is to get onto Old Canterbury Rd then Railway Pde/Trafalgar St and cross the railway line on Crystal St. Turn right onto Parramatta Rd and use the bus lane all the rest of the way.

However, catching a train from Campsie station, getting out at Redfern and walking the 600m to the guts of the uni would be the most promising solution (think of the extra 15 minutes study time :)
  4. If you avoid the red areas between 6am and 10am and 2pm and 7pm you should be good.

the darker red indicates heavier traffic
    • Like Like x 2
  5. um, bit of bad luck there champ. LOL
    Dont worry, it wont be moving traffic for long. :p
  6. Thank you, that map was very helpful, now I have to look for a place around campsie or the surrounding areas.

Thanks for the tip on using the bus lane.
    Also shutting between work, uni and home, I think bike's the best option. I will waste more time if I try to use public transport.
  7. No. It will more than likely save you time as it's a fairly direct route.

Sydney peak hour is nothing like you could ever imagine coming from Brisbane and being a school student.
  8. My advice would be to transfer to a University somewhere other than Sydney....
  9. My Commiserations! The only thing I like about Sydney is that it lies 160K away.
  10. Good call! The bus lanes are awesome. But the line of cars waiting to turn right from Crystal St can be loooong, so unless you're a first-class filterer in pretty narrow lanes, I'd try a different way, like Lewisham's Brown St -> Hathern St overpass -> Tebbutt St, which isn't so clogged and I use most mornings.
  11. You could try something like this...
    Or this...