Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Roadliner 1900 or Suzuki Boulevard

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by yanchep, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Hi All

This is my first post on this forum.

Sold my BMW R1100RT approx. 6 months ago but have now got the urge to get another bike again.

I am thinking of buying a new bike and have been looking at the 2011 Suzuki Boulevard C109RT but also have the opportunity to buy a brand new 2009 Yamaha Roadliner 1900AS. Looked at the idea of buying a used bike but getting better value buying new due to lots of current promotions.

Haven’t been able to test drive any of them due to lack of demos available in the area I live. (North of Perth) The first opportunity to drive the C109RT will be in a couple of weeks when I return to Perth again from working away.

The Roadliner 1900AS is located interstate and in WA the Roadliner 1900A is the only model is available for sale but no demo.

I am 6”2 and approx 140kg light

Has anyone got any firsthand experience with those bikes and able to provide any info on their experience.

Many thanks and regards,
    PC

2. Having owned a M109 for over 4 years, maybe I can assist.

Will really depend on what you want to do with the bike though.

I use my bike as everyday transport, as a commuter, weekend rides when I can, and the occasional long distance blast.

Have found it to be a bike that can mix it up in the corners, although it will never be a sports bike. if you push too hard, the front tyre gets scalloped quite easily, the wide rear and 400kg of bike being too much for it. You can muscle it around corners very well, and it will keep up with most weekend riders on your fave twisties.
    Get 24000 klm from a front tyre, between 4000 and 12500 from a rear depending on how aggressive you are.
    Low centre of gravity, good at low speeds, can manage 3-4 seconds at a complete stop without putting feet down at the lights.
    Brakes are excellent, with the addition of braided lines to the front, there is a surprising amount of feel, and with the weight balance, you can make good use of the back brake too.
    Headlight needs upgrading but that is typical of most UJM bikes.
    INtake mods and the addition of a TRE and fuel processor make it really hump along, and you will win most traffic light GP's, even against litre bikes.
    You need a smooth throttle hand to make the most of the power, as it has massive torque. It IS possible to drift it using the throttle to steer. Say goodbye to the footpegs when you do though.
    Being water cooled, summer is not an issue, and shaft drive lessens the issues with maintenance.
    I have done 2000 klm days on it, and can still saddle up the next day for a rematch. Mlb to cairns in 2 1/2 days, and back again 2 days later as an example. Fuel economy is about 250 a tank in everyday stuff, 300 if you cruise at 110, and less than 200 if you spend time at the $2 shop
    Will pull cleanly from 1500 rpm, but keep it buzzing over 4000 and it is a hell of a lot of fun.
    No experience with the roadliner, but wasnt impressed enough to make the change when I test rode one last year. seemed a bit more old school engineering. USA mags seem to love it though, but they mostly compare it as a touring bike. I couldnt think of it as a commuter bike when I rode it.

I am 5'11", and 115 kgs as a comparison.
    BIG 109 community out there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Excellent review of the bike peter

4. i say no test ride no sale....

iam in the market for a new ride now myself (y)

ive spent the last week internetting and bike shop trolling and now have a short list to which iam going to test ride tuesday =D>

5. Thanks for the great feedback Peter.

This has given me what I was after. As I work a 9x5 roster the main usage of the bike would be around town with the occasional long drive on the weekends and when on leave.

One point of interest would also be when carrying a passenger how does it handle. As I am 140kg and the other half approx 75kg the total weight would be around 215kg.
    The Roadliner is rated for 204kg maximum load and this could result in warranty issues should something go wrong. Any idea on max weight for the Bouleward?

Looking forward for the test drive

6. I wouldn't worry too much about the weight. I've regularly had 200kgs on a virago 250, which states a max weight of 75kg.

7. reckon a back rest on the suzi would be handy [for your passenger] might crank it and leave her behind!!

8. i say Boulevarde but get used to the wide tyre

9. Hi Again.
    After finally having completed a couple of test runs on the versus bikes I ended up buying the Roadliner 1900AS today.

Found it to be the best handling bike for me. Also love the additional extra chrome on the bike.

10. It is your bike - so your choice. As long as you are happy.

I have actually sold my 109, and replaced it with a ducati monster.

Some health issues forced me to look for a lighter bike.
    Some mechanical issues with the 9 made me do this faster.

Suzuki's warranty and support decisions are woeful, and the experience has left me never wanting to own another suzuki again. And I work for a suzuki (car) dealer!)

Enjoy the Yamaha. I luvved the retro styling cues.

11. congrats on the roadliner

i wanted one, but i got a steal on a brand new M109R

but i sold that many moons ago, the roadliner is a very classy bike

12. Thanks for the feedback guys.

Bike is the 2006 Roadliner AS with 9500km on the clock. Came with sissy bar, quick release windscreen and with an extra set of Shot Gun pipes. Bike is in showroom conditioning with not a mark on it.

Must say I'm quite impressed with the way it handles and the smooth gear change. Pull on the lever and she really moves. Will fit the Shot Gun pipes when I return home next time to check how they sound. Heard they are quite loud.

How are you going with the Ducati monster Peter? Sorry to hear the M109 didn't meet your expectations.

Cheers
    PC

13. The 109 met my expectations until problems emerged and Suzuki ducked and weaved so they didnt have to make any judgement until the warranty ran out.
    The bike was fantastic. Suzuki Customer service was a dud.

They have redesigned the gears, dogs and shift forks in 2009 onwards bikes, so those problems dont happen anymore, and added more oil flow to the clutch. But older bikes, there was apparently no need to change them, they must have been abused by the owners. Suzuki design was not at fault, in any way, they redesigned 'on a whim'.

14. Whats it like getting used to that big 240 tyre on the back if the M109r

15. Once you get used to it, you replace it with a 260, or 280 of course!

The first few corners are a bit daunting, but you soon get used to forcing it thru the corners.

Biggest difference is that if pushed real hard thru corners, the 109 will scrub the front tyre heaps. Aquaplaning on the highway at speed is a bit interesting too.

On the monster, it seems like you think about it, and it happens. Plenty of room for subtlety in corners, changing of lines is easy and confidnce inspiring.

Dont regret owning the 109, it was a good bike, and took me on many good rides.