Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Roadcraft - Survival Skills, Traffic Skills

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Fractalz, Mar 19, 2016.

1. #1 Fractalz, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Interesting inclusion of "Self Control Skills" :bag:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Whoever moved it probably thought New riders and Riding Tips was more appropriate than General forum.
  4. #4 Womble, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    Is the doc part one of a bigger piece? It seems a bit lightweight with not much in the way of supporting information e.g. "Remember, if you can’t see five seconds ahead slow down".

What is the reasoning behind this, does it apply to all situations, at what speed does this cease to be valid etc. this doc appears on the face of it to be too simplistic and one size fits all, "do as I say" without the logic behind it explained.
  5. Slow down; just slow down. Again nothing about how managing risk can sometimes call for some pretty aggressive/energetic riding.
  6. I guess you mean offended, no I don't think so, several posts were removed by a moderator in a thread clean up.
  7. Aye, Mcsenna.... my typing can vary quite a lot.

Well, if you are coming up to a corner that you can't see a nice empty stretch of road to ride into, it seems reasonable to me that you might slow down.

There could be all sorts of "stuff", just out of your sight....... a truck doing a three point turn.....a gaggle of push bike riders, doing 10 kph..... a tree blown over the road, I've even come round a bend on the Old Road to find a horse and buggy, complete with a couple dressed up in 19th century dress, doing about 8 kph.
    It was going in the same direction as I was, just at a rather more leisurely pace.:eek:

It doesn't apply to all situations.

On a race track, a corner with limited vision around it will typically have some flag marshals ready to wave a flag at you if there is something round the bend that you can't see but they can.

The "five second" bit can vary somewhat depending on how fast you are going in the first place, but the general principle is still good.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. It is derived from rider training as taught in all states of Australia. Some of the terms may vary in individual states but the concepts are the same.
    As Crazy Cam explains above when riding on the public road time is your best friend and humans find estimating time easier than trying to work out distances in metres etc. By using a seconds count you can stay within adequate braking distances more easily ... this leads to better risk management overall.
  9. What I was asking for (poorly worded it seems) was a link to the supporting papers so that I could do a bit more research. I don't take absolute views/opinions to heart unless I can apply some critical thinking to them.
  10. The document is aimed particularly at riders who may have got their licences years ago ... riders who have gained their licences more recently will already be familiar with the concepts as this is what is taught in modern rider training courses.

I am not authorized to provide training manuals :)
  11. All I get from the link is a "Sorry, this content isn't available right now" page...
  12. Sorry ... fixed it now ... try it again.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. There's nothing in it that I would argue against with any conviction.Thinking about the five second thing - from a training point of view I can see why it is recommended even if it seems a very generous margin.
    I'm not trying to be obtuse but I can think of plenty of locations where five seconds would never be practical, and a handful of those where being too slow would be counterproductive. I admit that's nitpicking but the real world always defies our attempts to rationalise it.
    Perhaps an advanced variation would have you rehearsing avoidance measures based upon what might appear in your path? Slowing is one possible strategy, but not the only one IMO.
  14. The 'five seconds' refers to a minimum suggested vision ahead and not to following distance (crash avoidance space).
    In many, if not most, cases you will have far more than 5 seconds vision, and 12 seconds vision ahead is a recommended optimum, although there may well be hazards within that space that need to be actively managed.
  15. Had a quick look -- I understand what you're trying to convey and don't doubt its usefulness or appropriateness, however I agree with WombleWomble's earlier comment somewhat in that it reads a little too simplistically. If your target is older, more experienced riders they could end up feeling a little harangued when they may believe they deserve the benefit of the doubt, given they've been on a bike for x years without an incident. They may feel like they're considered capable of independent thought, so the tone of your writing will have a significant impact on how successful it is.

I'd strongly suggest you have an introductory paragraph of sorts, outlining your own qualifications, what it is you're trying to achieve and where the following information comes from. Likewise, you should include a section that directs your readers where to go to find further information, as well as your own contact details.

By way of background, I produce and maintain several educational resources for our junior doctors (including the typesetting and layout), so this is something I am relatively happy to opine on. Producing this kind of resource is deceptively hard work and I commend you on your efforts. Some points to consider:
    • Background: the content pages are very busy and the text requires more effort to read than it should. Either reduce the opacity of the background or drop it entirely to aid readability.
    • White space: the text appears crowded. A white background may allow you to use smaller type and increase your trailing space which will help your paragraphs stand out from each other. If you change this you will also want to reduce your leading to improve readability. As it is there is already quite a gap between the ascenders and descenders on each line, which makes it harder for the eye to determine where the start of the next line is.
    • Emphasis: consider your context when emphasising parts of the text. If you want to draw attention to something as the reader reads the document use an oblique or italic style (prosodic stress in speech). Reserve heavy weight type for keywords because they will tend to distract the eye -- useful for highlighting particular words when someone is skimming the document. In a couple of places you've used single quotation marks and boldface, which is a bit of overkill. However setting "maximise space from hazards" in a heavier font draws the attention of the reader -- useful, seeing as its one of the key messages you're trying to convey. There's no need to set 'roadcraft' in heavy blue caps either.
    • Punctuation: make sure your use of em, en and the hyphen is appropriate. Don't follow a comma with a hyphen -- replace both with an em dash. You can optionally space around the em dash (AP style), but not an en dash or hyphen. Check your use of commas is appropriate.
    • Quotation: admittedly this is probably more a scientific requirement, but if you quote something, include the source so we can look it up. Don't quote from sources your audience will not be able to obtain (i.e. training manuals). Only quote words to emphasise that they're being used as a euphemism (scare quotes) in moderation.
    • Capitalisation: capitalise proper nouns and adjectives derived from proper nouns. Don't capitalise quoted material if it continues a sentence. For example, in this sentence "set up" should not be capitalised; encouraging riders to develop their Skills doesn't require capitalisation -- skills isn't a proper noun or derived adjective (like a Freudian slip).
    • The table: doesn't really link in with the text to any appreciable degree and requires quite a lot of thinking time to understand. You can probably explain this concept better with a single sentence.
    Hopefully this helps you somewhat. I'm happy to proof any changes you make.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. DrSleepy,

as an ex-stone sub on a newspaper, I have to say I am impressed with your comments.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks for that feedback. I'll pass it on.
    As an aside it is printed as a single sheet A4 booklet.
    I believe there was deliberate effort to avoid it looking too much like an educational resource.
    Ditto with avoiding linking to any organisation either government or private sector.
    I'm glad the table stimulated thought.
  18. I can understand the reason to avoid particular names, etc., FractalzFractalz -- however it will add a certain credibility to it if there is a place to go for more information and it looks professionally produced. This doesn't mean looking like a textbook!

In terms of the format, have you considered something like a tri-fold leaflet? Particularly if this is something you intend to opportunely hand out (like at a bike expo), people will be far more likely to put it in their pocket if it looks neat, isn't stapled together, and doesn't require them to fold it up first.
  19. The tri-fold was considered however there was consideration given to a range of eyesight issues of an aging population as too small a font size may prove to be a barrier.
    It is printed on 1 x A4 sheet (printed both sides) in booklet style so only has one fold.
  20. No problem FractalzFractalz. If readability is a concern, definitely drop the background on the inside pages and add some white space. You may find this will let you reduce the font size a bit or use a lighter weight. Also, A5 (which is what you get when you fold an A4 sheet in half) is still not comfortably pocket-sized.

CrazyCamCrazyCam my grandfather was a printer at some point in his life. These days I use InDesign & LaTeX. But there's a reason to obsess over this stuff -- it makes the work visually attractive, adds some authority and makes it far more likely to get read.