Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Roadcraft discussions

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Gobberwart, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Unfortunately, far too few people take an interest in roadcraft. I do, but I do it on my own time because I find that my friends fall asleep when I talk about it. Dunno what to do.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Start a thread Gobby. Those that want to talk roadcraft will.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I'd be interested in following a thead on road craft and hearing other peoples view and ideas as well as sharing mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. The most important element of good roadcraft is putting yourself in a position where you are not needed to be seen. I.e You could get to your destination safely if you were an invisible man.

Discuss.

5. The invisible man theory of roadcraft works for me.

6. So, in other words the opposite to what was expected of us when we were kids. Now we're to be heard, but not seen - instead of seen, but not heard? ;)

7. @Gobberwart@Gobberwart

Start the thread and they will come, well at least me and @smileedude@smileedude will, I am interested in talking about it and learning more.

Cheers Jeremy

8. As long as people argue. I cant really handle passive learning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. There is alot of information out there, some of it is good, some of it not so good. I believe that riders should arm themselves with as much technical skill as possible in order to be able to get out of a bad situation, and not make it worse. There are things like lane position, being visable and riding "Slow" that help keep us out of danger. But there can always be a situation that comes up where these are just not enough. Without good technical skills and understanding how a bike works and handles, the basics tought by the authorities are just not enough.

• Like Like x 1
  10. So we have "be visible" and "be invisible" two somewhat conflicting schools of thought, no?

11. Which would you prefer? Be in a position where a driver is more likely to see you or a position where it doesn't matter if they see you?

12. No doubt about my preference, my point was to highlight the conflicting view so you would have an opportunity to explain, in your own inimitable way, why one makes more sense than the other. Not for my benefit but for the uninitiated who may pass this way. So what happened to the "roadcraft" thread ?

13. I thought this had become the road craft thread. As for visability, I would prefer to be seen than not. But when I ride, I try Never to assume that I have been seen. As much as possible, I ride expecting drivers not to see me and try to stay out of their obvious blind spots.

14. Problem is noone who needs to learn this shit is interested in a gay back slapping talk fest about how wonderful our ideas are. They want to see spilt blood.

Ill throw this one out there to see if it gets any bites. A 2-3 second gap between you and the car in front can be the most dangerous position on the road. Sometimes it's a lot safer to be closer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Not "be invisible".

Ride "as if you are invisible".

One relates to the potential for drivers to see and be aware of your presence.
    The other relates to your safety via your roadcraft in case the other driver is not aware of your presence.

Complementary factors I think.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Almost all road safety authorities and auto clubs promote a 2-3 second gap and it is the law as far as I know as well. So this brings us back to the other argument, do you break the law because you have judged that it makes you safer?
    So I've answered one question with another, going well so far.

17. Not really jem,

Ok example, you are riding down a single lane road. Car in front car behind. There's a car waiting patiently on a side road. If you have left recommended gaps and then the driver in the side street doesn't see you, what does the gap between the 2 cars now look like? Would you rather be on the tailgate of the car in front for a few seconds while you pass through this hazzard?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. I'll take the 2 - 3 second gap EVERYTIME.

Having spotted the car emerging from the side road I'll increase the gap if I haven't already because of the tailgater.

If that emerging side car decides to jump INFRONT of your closely followed car, you're more likely to be toast.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Thanks for Splitting the Thread Rob.

Smillee, get what you are saying but I tend to favour a bigger gap rather than a smaller one, more options. Again like all of this it depends very much on when, where and what speed is involved.

20. This one was missing from the split should be between post 16 and 17 to put context in to Smilee's reply -

I will break the law if it puts me in a safer position.

Not that I am talking about excessive speed more like a quick burst up to 70 in a 60 to get past a semi so I am not sitting beside it etc.

I do know what @@smileedude is talking about however, On the Eastern a 2-3 second gap and cars will be cutting into it

Cheers Jeremy

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1