Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Road Vs Track?????

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Sirian Sun, Apr 15, 2009.

1. The Coldstream thread has sparked a lot of discussion as to what is safe, what is negligent, what is and isnt within a riders capability etc...

So as a newbie my question to each of you is what do you find acceptable on the road and when do you draw the line and say no, that is for the track only. What circumstances are ok and which are an absolute no no?

BE WARNED - I am asking for your opinions here and they are going to differ. Anyone who resorts to personal attacks is going to have a hex put on their bike! I am not posting this to generate controversy, rather a genuine desire to understand all your varying view points.

2. Anything I can get away with, on the road, is safe.
    On the track, it's much the same :grin:

I don't pretend to be perfect, like others here :)
  3. That's something every rider has to decide for themselves, whether it be well above or well below the limits set, ride your own pace and be confident in your own judgement.

Ride faster than your pace, and it'll end in tears. Ride slower, and you'll get bored and antsy. The leaders never have to wait that long at the end of the road, you're responsible for your own safety and amusement, and nothing anyone else says means shit.
  4. on the road i don't push myself to find my max limit, i test that out on the track, with practice what was once my max limit is now more my general riding pace/ability, but really on the road, if i can't see i won't go :wink:
  5. What is acceptable is whatever I deem it to be at that exact instant of time given a multitude of variables considered by my brain that's been trained over hundreds of thousands of kms of road riding.

The racetrack is the place to throw caution to the wind when it comes to committing wholly to some corner that I cannot see through, or braking so hard into a corner that the rear wheel is hopping and the risk of running wide only means using more of the track or the run off, as opposed to the path of an oncoming car, or a tree.

What I personally consider to be slow and leisurely is another person's hair tearing suicidal pace. What I consider to be a fast and hot road pace is another person's leisurely pace. I am not the be-all, end-all arbiter of what is safe and what is not, and I do not presume to think that I can adequately define what is safe for someone else and their skillset and specific instantaneous circumstance.

Road riding is a constantly changing scenario that must always be assessed at the moment. I could define a set of what I think are best practises, but I do not have my head so far up my arse to think that everyone must abide by my personal ethos.
  6. at 3am a lot of roads turn into tracks for me...
  7. There's a sweet spot between bored-as-bat-shit and f*ck-this-is-dangerous, which I'm sure is great for road riding as long as the fuzz don't disagree. For me however, I move into the f*ck-this-is-dangerous zone before I move out of the bored-as-bat-shit zone. So I just don't ride on the road.
  8. im with the big fela on this one.

whatever i can get away with, that i personally dont feel is putting others in direct risk.

its all about time and place for me and giving others room
  9. I agree with Loz & Joel.

If you ride fast, you are going to crash on the road and the track, you are going to have speeding fines on the road and the track costs money to ride at.

You have insurance to cover you & your bike on the road.

I guess it's anti-social to be speeding on the road, if that don't worry you.... :wink:
  10. Thanks for your responses everyone :) appreciate you all being honest on this. I dont expect anyone to be a saint lol.

I guess its finding out where you personally draw the line.
  11. Ditto the above - changing situations call for changing riding attitudes. The following is for myself, both bikes and cars.

I have a favourite bit of road from Goulburn, out past Taralga and then on to Bathurst. Nice, fast country road (for the most part) with some decent twisty bits through a logging area further on towards Oberon. I go through there and fairly push it, as in my experience the road is almost always deserted and you may only encounter a few other vehicles in its 180-odd kays. The exception to that is mid-morning to noon, when logging trucks can be frequenting the stretch from Oberon to Black Springs. The surface is fairly good in most areas, and I know which sections to be careful on because I've been through there a fair bit. I'd say I'm fairly safe in hooking it along most sections of that road.

Switch to back in town, going down the street through a few school zones. I'm gonna be careful, for several reasons. Firstly, I don't want to hit a kid. Secondly, I don't want to get a whopping great fine/lose my licence. Lastly, I don't want to give myself and others a bad name by doing something stupid with lots of onlookers.

Track experiene for me is zero, but hoping to change that. When I get there I'm going to still be relatively cautious, as I don't have heaps of on-road experience at the moment and I don't want to hurt myself, somone else, or my bike.

Cheers - boingk
  12. Drive ride to the conditions.
  13. Similar to above responses but i also take into consideration what gear i'm wearing, what time of day it is(sunglare into other driver's eyes, fri/sat night with drunks on road) and also how i'm feeling mentally and physically.

14. Back in my early 20s I had heaps of fun doing that (caged). Things changed when speed cameras became more common.

About two weeks ago I was almost home riding along Ferntree Gully Rd around 2am. There was nobody on the road except for headlights I could see in my mirrors. I was very tempted to shorten the time taken to get home. Surely I wouldn't get busted for a short squirt near the end of my trip, right? I then thought, "Knowing my luck I bet those headlights 100m behind me are the fuzz" so didn't give into the temptation. About 1-2 minutes later I slowed down slowly and turned off. What was the car? The po-po! Sometimes you've got to go with your gut instinct.

To answer the OP, what I see as dangerous is riding that relies on pure luck to not hurt yourself or someone else. That would be at a much lower speed for me than for many others on this forum but I'm fine with me staying at the slow end of the spectrum. I don't tend to take shenanigans on the road with me. I can't say I'm perfect and never do it but its a rare event for me these days. If I want to muck around, I'll opt for a controlled environment. That's why I went go karting on the weekend to have some fun. I set the fastest lap of that session and 5th fastest of the day but drove sensibly on the road afterwards. Some others who left the kart track in their cars didn't. I don't care if anyone else gets along at a faster pace on the road but do care if they take anyone else down if they come unstuck.
  15. This is a pretty big factor for me, too.
    If I'm going somewhere and just wearing sneakers, I ride pretty sensibly.

But if I have my boots on...

16. Semi-offtopic for a moment,
    I love/hate that feeling. It's freaking eerie - your spidey-sense tells you not to do something naughty, and in the next few minutes a speed trap/RBT/HWP usually appears. :eek:

But yeah, +1 to what everyone else said - it really does depend on the conditions and rider.

One constant I do have is to never cross the centreline or painted outer line when cornering. Why ride all the way to a twisty road if you're just gonna straighten it by cutting the corners? It also gives me a small safety net if I misjudge the corner, and keeps me out of oncoming traffic.

But that's just me - I know of a few riders who use the entire width of the road provided they have line of sight. *shrug* Their call. :)
  17. Two rules:

Don't endanger any innocent bystanders.

If/when you crash or get caught, don't whine about it.
  18. Ooooh, me too. Even when driving, I am extremely anal about this.
    Same as merging tapers from overtaking lanes etc.
  19. ive seen highway patrol hiding or active on too many sections where i wouldnt think they wouldnt be and too many stories of wannabe ghost riders getting caught - i know my skills and my luck dont result in good odds.

besides the fear of the fuzz being hidden in hotspots,this is prob the biggest for me. short trips where im squidding it, you wont catch me pulling a wheelie or such. but make it a sunny day, wearing my suit, my shift indicator will blip hear and there.
  20. I like the responses everyone, good to know you dont just f * * k around for the sake of it without giving though to consequences.

A virtual Freddo for each of you lol