Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Road Rule 271 - Riding on motorbikes

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Obstinate, Jan 23, 2013.

1. I was just browsing through the legislation, when I came across this:

271 Riding on motorbikes
    (1) The rider of a motorbike that is moving (other than a rider who is walking beside and pushing a motorbike), or the rider of a motorbike that is stationary but not parked, must—
    (a) sit astride the rider's seat facing forwards; and​
    (b) ride with at least 1 hand on the handlebars; and​
    (c) if the motorbike is moving—keep both feet on the footrests designed for use by the rider of the motorbike.

Just for added ambiguity, the TORUM Act provides the following definition in its Dictionary:

"park a vehicle includes stop the vehicle and allow the vehicle to stay, whether or not the driver leaves the vehicle."

Anyone care to try and make sense?
  2. If you are moving, you have to have both feet on the pegs, When stopped or parked you don't, reads simply as that to me
  3. Bout a year back someone here got done for stretching their legs. I think it was in Victoria.
  4. I remember a thread along those lines. Also seem to remember someone mentioning something about someone being done merely for standing up on the pegs to stretch (ie the "sit astride the seat" part of the law).

Meanwhile driving a car with one finger on the wheel, feet nowhere near the pedals (cruise control), whilst trying to find a particular track on your ipod - is still perfectly legal. :rolleyes:
  5. Technically it means you must have both feet on the pegs before you start to move and can't take them off until after you are stationary, it also means you can't take both hands off the bars at traffic lights. The TORUM's are written for ease of enforcement not safety or practicality.
  7. What does the underlined section say Spenze? ;)
  8. It says at least 1 hand on the handlebars. Which means that only 1 is perfectly legal.
    You stated you must keep two hands on the handlebars.

Oh no you didn't. My bad. Misread it.
  9. That is cool
  10. Yeah good book that one pfgghht. Think my copy is up to 800mb with updates. And pretty sure the hand on bars is both now whilst moving.
    TORUM isn't what the plod use either
  11. So how do you reverse?
  12. Feet up of course. This is QLD, our thongs stick to the road with the heat
    • Like Like x 1
  13. So what do they use?

I think this act is too prescriptive and I don't even see a good argument for it. The 'sit astride' part would prevent me from standing up on the pegs if I need to go over some bumps. The feet on the foot pegs would prevent me from stretching my legs (like the said case in Victoria). Now if you do a wheelie and stick your legs apart, the police could get you under the definition of dangerous driving, whatever it is.

The 'parked' vehicle definition (stating that it includes a vehicle that is stopped, and therefore stationary) creates a conflicting rule in conjunction with the section - 'stationary but not parked'. Regardless of the distinction between 'stationary' and 'stopped', the meanings of these words will overlap. If accused of breaching subsections (a) and (b), one can argue that the bike was parked (even if it was parked illegally).
  14. QLD Police use their discretion :greedy:
    Better than Vic Police who just shoot you
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Vic must now have 'good' drivers left around :ROFLMAO:
  16. #16 Vertical C, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    It might be uniform nationally, that doesn't mean it is not strange.

Hopefully it will get changed at the next road rules audit to align with practicality.
  17. So no turning around to the car behind you to give them your thoughts?
  18. If I remember correctly, the "feet on pegs unless stationary" bit was an afterthought added only in the last 2-3 years. Prior to that, the road rules required that riders be able to balance at trafficlights with both feet on the pegs. Herp derp.

I do find it amusing that the ARRs specifically state that a rider must remain seated. The Learner Handbook for motorcycle riders in Victoria explicitly instructs learners to stand up when riding across rough surfaces.

But I imagine that that road rule was less about punishing normal riders with trivial nitpicking, and more to enable enforcement of stunters.

And this guy:
  19. And having to design our own footrests is a bit of an ask for those of us who ain't engineers.