Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Road Rating Tool: I need your help.

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Andymcm, Jan 30, 2008.

1. I am trying to develop a rating system for the roads I ride, and anyone else who may be interested.

I recently rode what I consider to be the best motorcycle road in Australia, but how do I justify that evaluation to anyone else.

I am thinking of a rating system of consistent questions with a score between 0-10. And for a particular "stretch of road" like Horsham to Casterton not a "trip" like Sydney to Perth

Scoring things like:
    Road surface
    Traffic ( road could be rated at different times even for this)
    Facilities at each end of road
    Roadside parking
    Corner Quality (pleasure)

Once all parameters are scored, out pops the final number, giving you a reasonably consistent rating of a section of road.

What else should be a consideration to be scored?

Appreciate your help!

The finished product will be a spreadsheet for easy use and available here:For Free

Thanks in anticipation.
  2. I came across a website that describes some popular victorian roads. It also gives them a rating. It may be of some help. click on link, then select Road Description System in the left column

I also found if you email Ben (Website Author) he is only to happy to help.

3. Thanks Trevnsig,

Top Stuff!
  4. Perhaps some sort of hazard rating - ie likeliness for things like wildlife, fallen tree branches, frost/ice etc.

"Likelihood of Police/Speed Camera presence" would be nice too, but probably isn't something you could/should include officially ;).
  5. Cool JD,

Hazards hmmmmmmm. Considering one of my old HOG buddies was killed a week ago when an Emu got in front of her you'd think I would have had that down!!!!

Definetely a must