Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Road position VS tailgater

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by gegvasco, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Did my first big ride today 200+k's but due to being on L's, had to say under 80. This made me a moving road block on the highway. The prize idiot of the day, in fact of this decade and the last, decided to use the half of the lane I wasn't using to overtake me. He had 15kph of overtake on me and passed 30cm from my right knee, all while his right wheels were over the double yellow lines with oncoming traffic!

I tried to work out how I could have avoided this, and others have pointed to lane position. I was about 20cm left of dead centre in my lane when the idiot made his move. Should I have stayed in the right half of my lane, closer to oncoming traffic? I had stayed left to maintain the greatest safety space from the obstacles around me ie. oncoming traffic, while improving my rear vision in my right mirror(finding the lack of rear view the hardest thing to get used to)

Any thoughts?

2. I think you were right and he was just a farking idiot!!!... You can't do anything about that.. Just be aware that there are idiots out there

Lisa :twisted:

3. I dont know!, I am on full license, I would have taken off.
    Maybe when thid happens, I mean when you see it coming,
    pull over on the hard shoulder, let the fcukwit go.
    Domenico

4. ride on the right hand side of the lane when it is a single carriageway road
    on a dual carriageway road if you are in the left hand lane then ride on the right hand side, if you are in the right hand lane then ride on the left side of your lane
    when on a road with 3 lanes rides as stated in the dual carraigeway case and avoid travelling in the middle lane where possible because otherwise you'll have to worry about cage drivers from both sides.

This wont stop other drivers from cutting into your space but will help reduce the number of times it happens.

a good way to teach them a lesson when things like this happen is to leave an inprint of the sole of your boot in their rear quarter panel as you go straight back around, but make sure you bolt before they get your rego details...

5. If you can get a mental image of the wheel tracks of the car that is/was in front of you and plonk yourself in the RHS track sometimes you can see where the road is grooved or worn (the wheel track that is) then your in the "safest" most visable position..this may even stop dickheads squeezin' thru on ya too...the dumb bastards 8)

6. It has also happened to me because I was in the left hand side of the lane..... Once you are in the left lane they will treat you with the same contempt as they do cyclists.

7. lane

Mate, my best advice is what the others said, make yourself as wide as possible. It is your road.

Now the important bit. When this does happen, make an attempt to memorise the number plate. Stop and write it down if you have to. Take note of the time and where roughly it happened. If you notice any other driver take avoiding action try for their number as well.

Then report the matter to the police. Tell them that if the driver argues, you will press dangerous driving charges. They will and must act on your report. If you have a witness all the better.
    Get those f&%&^ heads off the road if possible, or at least a bit poorer.

Until you get very experienced, do not use the boot into panels trick, you might end up checking out the bitumen close up. It also depends on your size and abilities. Best leave it to the cops.

Stay safe

Brian

8. Mate it comes down to common sense, if you are doing 80 in a 100 zone then you can only expect to piss other road users off, they have lives too and prolly more important things to be doing than admiring your skill levels growing.
    In the future (until you are alowed to ride at the limit), give other road users the space they deserve, because at the end of the day, the little win you may have in your mind about who is in the right and who is in the wrong wont mean jack to the folks at A&E as they try to work out which of your bones goes where.

9. Re: lane

Great advice. I wasn't sure if one person's word was good enough for the police to take action on. I'll certainly keep that in mind if anything like this happens again.

While I don't have the skill to do this at the moment, I can say now that I will never do it. Sure, the guy might be threatening your life, but I'm not going to commit criminal damage to impress upon him his stupidity. I don't understand how being a rider makes this OK to do. It is entirely unlawful and dangerous. Just my opinion. And rider or not, look out anyone that decides to do it to my car. Then I'll certainly be taking the number plate and will see them in court.

10. I am on my L's too, and I find that 90% of drivers will give you space, irrespective of the speed limit. Anyone who drives up your arse should be reported, especially if you are displaying an L plate. You were doing the limit enforced upon you by law, and cars do the limit enforced upon them by law. Most will over take correctly and safely, but some wont. What he did was drive without due car and attention. Do these people not read the highway code? Do they not know the speed limit restrictions on L drivers and riders?

11. This is good advice although the RHS wheel track is not the place you want to be when being passed by a large truck or other vehicle at 100kph. When this happens I usually drift over to the centre or LHS wheel track till they're past and the wind buffeting has stopped before returning to the RHS. Of course keep an eye on your mirrors when doing this to make sure the vehicle behind doesn't take it as a sign to go past, with any luck your constant changing of lane position may make them less willing to try and pass though sometimes it's best to just pull over and let them go.

12. Pretty much what I was thinking......if you were a rolling road block gegvasco then probably who have been nice to pull over occasionally and let the traffic go around you then head off again. If that driver had been stuck behind you for a long time then he would have been getting fairly worked up and hence the dangerous adn completely stupid action he took.

I really appeciate a cage driver if they pull over on the twisties and let me through.

Having said that while riding in the city, I was travelling in the small corridor between while line and left tram track. rolling along at 40km/h in a school zone (wasn't in school hours but the 40km/h sign didn't have the "only in school hours" underneath it). Woman got feed up with my slow progress and decided to pass me with her left wheel just the other side of the left tram track. Scared the shit out of me, especially since when you go to swing across tram tracks you do it pretty quickly. Had a few words with her at the lights and she proved herself to the intellectual giant I suspected :roll: .

But it definately taught me you can't take anything for granted, I check my mirrors during changes in my positioning in my lane and generally make sure I'm riding in the right wheel track where possible.

If there is a tailgater, a few quick taps on the rear brakes to warn them to back off if that fails to force them to wake up to what they are doing then I get myself out of the situation the safest way in that situation.

13. I knew someone who carried pebbles and ball bearings in their left jacket pocket to deal with tailgaters... not condoning it, just sharing it.

Rolling roadblock and other commonsense aside [flashing brakes etc], if you're at highway speed and being tailgated, you have to create a larger buffer ahead so that you have maximum chance to manouvre safely under brakes if you need to. You'll pull up much faster than they will... so you will need to get out of the way under brakes or else get run over. In this situation you're managing them and the situation ahead. Sux!

If you're on your L's, practice as much as possible, even do an advanced rider course and get your P's ASAP!!