Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Road from Eildon to Bonny Doon, is it sealed?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Johnny O, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Hi Guy's,

I was wondering if anyone here knows if the road from Eildon to Bonny Doon is sealed? Is it bike friendly?

A group of us are heading to Whitfield this Sunday, was thinking of using that road, thanks.
  2. Nope. And it's rough.

Shame though, because the few ks out of Eildon and the last seven or eight ks into Bonnie, ARE sealed and they are unbelievable.
  3. We're gonna bonnie doon
    We're gonna bonnie doon
    We're gonna bonnie doon
    We're gonna bonnie doon
    We're gonna bonnie doon
    We're gonna bonnie doon
    We're gonna bonnie doon
    We're gonna bonnie doon
    Dad! Speed Camera ahead!
    How much did that cost?
    70 bucks
    Already payed for itself

sorry, someone had to do it.
  4. I was gonna take it last Saturday but ran out of time. By 'rough' do you mean the sort of stuff that can still be done on a road bike if taken easy?
  5. Damn, I went through there yesterday but blindly stuck to the highways :roll:

I'm not scared to use gravel short cuts when I'm in a company vehicle :wink:
  6. Hope y'all come back this time.
  7. Clicked into this thread for Castle references.

I see it's all under control. Carry on.
  8. Yep, all under control.....

The Camira was moved and I now have access to the Pintara. Now, I wont be late for kick-boxing classes. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  9. It's a gravel road, mostly fairly wide and last time I was through (in a car), fairly well graded, but with pebbles making up the road surface. I personally would NOT take a sportsbike through. A naked with relatively skinny tyres... maybe. I'm referring to Skyline Road/Maintongoon Road. There are 20-30 ks of gravel between UT Creek Road at the southern end, and Peppin Point Drive at the north. There's a series of tight, challenging twisties (tarred) between Peppin Point and Maroondah Hwy.

Supposedly, the Eildon - Jamieson link is in the process of being sealed, but I don't know how far that's progressed.
  10. Not to take this thread off-track......

But, the loop from Falls through to Bruthen and that area was supposed to have been tarred - has it been?
  11. Yep - and its awesome
  13. Tell him he's dreaming.

Ah the serenity.

14. Sorry to hijack further, but is that here, or some other road? (Any helpful soul wanna set me straight? I'll ride it soon if you do! Thanks :))
  15. You know what, I am not sure.... I think I will start a new thread....
  16. the dogs love it, just look at them
  17. I'm confused by this thread! What are you all on about? :? I'd seriously like to know as I'll be taking the citizenship test in a year or so and this is obviously some Australian thing. Is this stuff required knowledge for Australian citizens? :LOL:

18. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118826/

It's bound to be in the test. I'd rent it if I where you :)
  19. Attempted the road on the GR650 yesterday, going north from Eildon. Dirt road was fine at first, quite an easy surface of hard clay and dust, but then it turned into a thickly stoned surface and they were the size and shape of ball bearings. I did this for a while but, not being properly competent on such surfaces, and riding a road bike on road tyres which is not set up for dropping, I decided after a bit to turn back, as it wasn't that enjoyable. To be honest, on better tyres with a bike which is good to be dropped, and with some armour, I think you'd be fine and probably do it with no drops. Eildon attracts every 4x4 bogan like a light globe to insects, and from what I witnessed they tear through there so watch out for that.

The roads in the National Park were otherwise fantastic!

I also did most of the Eildon - Jamieson Rd, the dirt was fine but you were riding on rock a lot and pounding the bike; further on it turned to wet sloppy clay so I turned back, but should be a good ride in dry conditions.
  20. Very much as I remember it, then. Shame, because from Peppin point it's great.

Any sign of improvements on this section? Last time I went there was still somewhere between 20-30k of dirt.