Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

road conditions

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by bonneville53, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Hi Guys
    a few of us are heading down to the braidwood cooma bombala bainsdale omeo bright area on monday. after reading Kingys thread i am asking if an update on the roads in these areas is possible. thanks. Paul

2.  Top
  3. thanks Titus
    you have been so helpful so will push my luck and ask about bright to tallangatta towong tumbarumba gundagia oberon mt victoria
    cheers Paul

4. Can only tell you that Tooma Road between Towong and Cabramurra is closed indefinitely (apparently it washed away the day after I did it :shock:).

AFAIK the Kiewa Valley Highway is open from Mt Beauty to Tallangatta. Riders told me Tawonga Gap was cut up pretty bad in places, but passable.

Murray Valley Highway is open to the border (more rain today though). Murray River Road was closed last week as it was underwater at Walwa so I wouldn't expect it to be in great nick. The rest I don't know.

5. thanks champ
    might go back down to bainsdale and work our way north from the coast side
    cheers
    Paul

6. well it all seems a distant memory now
    but we went down the highway to sydney then on the ring road to the macano lights(to mean to pay tolls) and down the hume to the Nowra turn off through the roo valley(beware of double Bs full of cows they do liquid shits that run out the back of the truck)couple of landslides there possible the worst road conditions of the trip. Stopped at Mollymook that night, curry night at golf club. Beautiful Bugatti parked next to us in the morning, fully restored 1932 straight 8 2.4 litre classy.Heard that the kings hwy was shit so went down the coast and followed Kingy's route Candelo Wyndam Bombala Cann River stopping at Orbost. Beautiful very nice roads in Vic. Next day up to Omeo Mt Hotham(dense fog) Bright. Yet to get rained on. Sunshine all the way small amounts of road work. The others didn't want to do the full loop and i had done it previously so we headed for Tallangatta and then pulled up at Tumbarumba. So far some beautiful roads and the bikes and boys havent played up. Next day up to the Hume and off that at Yass and down to Oberon through the Abercombie gorge(fabulous) 20 km of dirt and rain just out of Oberon(still havent got the bike really clean). Stopped at Tourist Hotel in Oberon reccommend it cheap, good feed, lock up for bikes and friendly hosts and locals. Next day fine and sunny as we go up the Bells Line of Rd the mountains looked spectacular with the sun on them as did the rock wall with the moisture and the sun, keep your eyes on the road son,turning off before Windsor and having a beautiful run up the putty. Lunch and a beer at Broke before home to Newy for a shower and say hello to the faithful dog and the bride. until next time in Nov (Snowy Ride).
    Stay upright. Paul

IMG_0040.

IMG_0043.

IMG_0045.