Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Road biking helmet

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by O Rappa, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Hey guys and girls,

I don't know how, but I managed to drop my nice helmet as I was sitting on the bike, putting it on the other night on my way home. I watched in utter horror as it jumped out of my hands and bounced and rolled about 6m down the driveway before it came to a stop. I was gutted. Anyway, I'm researching to find the safest helmet I can. I've been trying to find a copy of the current AS 1698:2006 to review the requirements however I just haven't been able to find a free pdf floating anywhere on Google. If anyone has a copy that I could peruse that'd be awesome!

I wanted to find out what energy/acceleration and testing our standards deem acceptable etc which would lead to different results compared to other standards, such as the UN/ECE standard, performed on the same helmet. For example, in the UK, SHARP rates the SHOEI XR1100 5 stars whereas it only scores 3 stars (and a poor 3 stars) here.

Anyway, am keen on the Shark Speed-R to go with my naked baby :)
  2. Mate Ill just jump in here if I may, Shoei have always excelled, but check page 67 of the telegraph today (Wednesday) innovative Kali helmet claiming to be the safest ever
  3. Cheers mate, will do!