Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Road-bike dirt roads East of Melbourne

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by mattb, Feb 19, 2008.

1. The ground is dry and it's time I branched out. Every weekend I traverse all over the Ranges etc out east of Melbourne, from Yea through Marysville, Warburton down to Gembrook. I've always ridden on sealed roads only, but I'd like to explore some dirt roads in (loosely) this area, ones suitable for riding a road bike (SR500) along at a putt putt pace. Are there any I should put high on the list to explore? Hard even clean dirt surfaces would be best, and I'll be travelling along quite slowly, so it would be good to avoid ones where utes frequently come flying up behind from around a blind corner.

2. Get into contact with "Kiwi" here, he knows those backblocks well.
    There's a whole new world to be seen and explored out there, but, if bitten by the bug, you might start looking for an XT6/DR/KLR or such pretty soon :grin:
  3. My bike's essentially a TT/XT500 modified for road use. Maybe I'd have an excuse for a second SR with dirt tyres! :grin:
  4. Acheron Way, links Mt Donna Buang road (near Warburton) to near Marysville. :)
  5. Sounds even better :)
    Is Big Thumpa, is Good :wink:
  6. Eildon to Jamieson Road, worth a go. Watch out for 4wd on blind corners on weekends though. I have taken the VFR800 around there ok.

Mappy Clicky Linky