Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RNP - some Road hazards & major Police presence

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Zippah, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Guys,

For those of you intending to take a ride through the RNP over this long weekend, please be aware of the recent rains which have contributed to the visible moss growth in various shaded areas through the RNP - particularly between McKell Ave & Otford. Take care - and as always on public holiday weekends, be aware of the cage drivers doing 30 below the limit.

Also, there has been a published warning in the Illawarra Mercury about Law Enforcement in the RNP.

another beat-up by a minority. Perhaps the riding community might like to respond???
  2. Yeah the RNP is effectively game over now for a decent blat. Make an overnighter of it and head to the Deep South of NSW.
  3. When did they crack down on the nasho? As a melbournian I passed through there on a trip up to qld at the end of Dec 2012 and saw no police at all..
    If that's the case, what roads do you recommend these days? I was thinking of another trip up that way but more towards the blue mtns and stay a few nights to explore.

Cheers in advance.
  4. Over 10 years ago.
  5. I would suggest you take MJW61's advice, and avoid RNP. It has been recently resurfaced in parts also. So the worst of the rutted bumps are removed, however there is still a lot of room for improvement. Better and less populated roads can be found to the south, the west, and if you're heading back to Brisvegas, the central nsw coast. Not all of them comfortable smooth roads, but if you want a relaxing ride and beautiful scenery, there are plenty of backroads on your trip north which will provide enjoyment far better than the RNP. I guarantee.
  6. I rode the Nasho on Friday last week. Apart from it being brutally cold in the Southern section due to the inability of the sun to penetrate the tree canopy it was quite enjoyable. The resurfacing has certainly improved the situation north of the Waterfall road, but it was really the south section that needed it, and it might be years till it gets the same treatment.
    But I do agree that the risks and constraints of the 80/60 kph speed limits makes my Saturday ride (up to the Grey Gum and home, 450kms round trip) much more appealing....
  7. They have done some resurfacing in the southern end recently, though I don't know to what extent. When I went through it was on the northbound side, about 4-5 foot wide from the edge.

The surface is abominable and the road isn't even that good. I find the run through Helensburgh just as enjoyable.