Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RLAFI: Riding Like A F***ing Idiot

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jekyll, Dec 2, 2007.

1. I had a close call today.

I was out riding most of the day, and spent some time splitting fairly aggressively on some of Sydney's most congested roads (Newtown, Bondi Beach, etc).

I was in two-lane traffic, with bumper-to-bumper cars crawling along in the right lane, and a mix of parked cars and empty spaces in the left lane. Every time I pulled level with some room in the left lane, I'd indicate and head check, swerve into the gap and blast ahead at 40-60 clicks, then pull up, squeeze past the parked cars and maybe indicate + merge back into the right lane. I was making pretty speedy progress ( especially compared to the cars ) and feeling pretty cocky and in control ... and there was a side street up ahead on my left ...

When a car coming the other way appeared through a gap in the traffic, and swung right across my path - pulling a Classic Right Hander on me.

I'd have hit the side of the car at at least 40 km/h if I didn't pull up hard - which I did, thankfully. It would have been my fault too.

After this, I really had to think about the level of risk I'd been running with, and when I did I realized I'd been Riding Like A F*cking Idiot most of the day.

I spent the next few hours trying intently to ride with a much lower level of risk, and get myself back to a cautious rate of progress well within my limits. I'm not entirely sure if I succeeded, but I was certainly riding less stupidly for the rest of the day.

I'm glad it didn't (quite) take an accident to make me realize I was RLAFI, but I'm afraid I'm likely to get overconfident again and maybe not even notice.

Any sage advice from those of you who've been around long enough to get over their cockiness?

I think I need a track day ...
  2. I suggest you stop riding like a f*cking idiot if you think it's gonna make you crash.
  3. Do you ride like a f*cking idiot Loz?

Just wondering, because it sounds like you're implying I could alternately learn to RLAFI well enough to not crash ;)

The problem is that at the time I didn't think it'd make me crash. I thought I was just being awesome. How will I know in the future if I'm awesome or just about to eat tarmac?
  4. Yes if you RLAFI you Will come a cropper sooner.
    Some things ive learned, Ride like its a race - youll come off like its one.
    Drive or Ride youre vehicle Hard - It will wear it Hard.
    and A Fly has a 10second advanced warning system built in. So I try to ride a Bike like a Fly???? :p
  5. Why waste our time asking for advice Bozo?

You're previous posts show that:

(a) you're either full of shit, &/or don't practice what you preach, or
    (b) any advice given to you doesn't sink into that head of yours

& thats from a quick look in the last 5 pages of history.. [​IMG]

No arguments on that one [​IMG]

You are a person who has difficulty learning.

Sell ya bike before you end up as roadkill because you're are a major accident
    waiting to happen [​IMG]
  6. Every time you get on your bike, think about your family and friends and what it would do to them if you weren't to come home that day if you RLAFI.

If that doesn't keep you in check, nothing will.
  7. might bring you down to reality:

NSFW at all!!!

every other wk there is a motorcycle related incident.

the more i ride, the more i read, the less i tend to take chances.

i'd like to stick around some more to enjoy myself, ya know:

8. MG,
    You may have got it spot on, but the only way to learn is from teachings/advice followed by repetition & practice, etc. Here's my advice for him and maybe its actually worthwhile (or maybe you're about to say i'm also learning challenged :eek: )

I've generally been a safe rider IMO.

Sometimes I find myself riding fast 'to get clear space' (you don't even question the motive at the time cos it seems right. Many here keep proclaiming that cars are out to get you) and then i realise I don't need the clear space and am taking risks to get it.

The cars aren't really out to get me. I just need to avoid being in the way when a drivers concentration lapses... and where better to do that from than trailing a safe distance behind.

I do a quick attitude check to myself...
    "Where are you going?"
    "Is it worth crashing (mental image of worst crash imaginable) to get there a poofteenth of a minute earlier?"
    "...Slow down and ride safe ya mung!"

The rest of my ride is generally very relaxed and leave myself a heap of room and shrug it off when someone moves into my stopping space and I just back off again. So what if it costs me a few more minutes? its a few more minutes i get to spend riding.

I don't mind if experienced riders say that I should have known better before riding fast. Just remember, it takes time to get knowledge and turn it into wisdom.

Ride safe Jekyll.
  9. Moral of the story......

Don't post dumb crap, MG has a memory like a

10. I don't see the problem with him sharing his experiences - we all go thru ups and downs - we all change thoughts and opinions in life. His post is no different to the 1000s of other pointless (in the grand scheme of things) posts with opinions and thoughts.

Ultimately, i've just posted my 2cents just like MG and Jekyll did, so that makes me just as dumb as "ya'all".

Just remember Karma (Bikema) baby.
  11. I'd say both are correct in part.

I don't always practice what I preach - and what I know in theory is not always perfectly put into practice. All the quotes there are entirely true though - or were at time of writing.

I'm fairly well studied on the theoretical side (I've read a lot), and I've tried hard to get as much experience applying the stuff to the road as possible in the months I've been on the road.

Unfortunately some things take time: perfecting skills to the point that they are stone cold reliable under all conditions takes years, as does developing the experience and discipline which guides your decision making process. This is true not only of motorcycle riding, but pretty much any high level set of skills.

The specific issue I'm having at the moment is that my concept of acceptable risk changes over time (ups and downs), and the way that I ride doesn't always, in retrospect, fit as snugly "within the envelope" as I'd like.

I'm after advice on how experienced riders temper their egos and bring themselves back to full awareness of their risks and limitations - whether before, during or after a ride.

MG, If you think this topic has been addressed sufficiently elsewhere on the forums that it's been "solved", please do post a link. If you'd rather flame me, please start a new thread for it. Otherwise, your opinions have been noted and I'm still interested in others' advice.

There's a sizable statistical spike in accident rates and fatalities about 18 - 24 months after licensing, where confidence seems to exceed risk awareness and skill. Given how many k's I've clocked and how hard I've been working to improve, I think I'm having my risk period early, and getting through it in one piece is pretty important to me ...

Twainharte - I went through that site again just the other day. The problem, I think, is not that I don't know intellectually how dangerous riding can be, or what I should be doing to mitigate the risk - it's that I get a bit caught up in the moment, and get a bit too much satisfaction out of pushing limits.

I'm starting to think I just need some track time to get it out of my system. Are there any issues with taking a 250cc to track days?

Another thing that occurred to me is meditation or similar - does anyone else here use anything like this?

Thanks to the rest of you who took the time to offer their thoughts.
  12. Dude, take a visit to the nearest spinal ward, or ABI (aquired brain injury) ward, if that doesn't slap you into reality nothing will and you should hand your licence in!
  13. Nope :)
  14. Well you're 28, so hopefully mature enough to consider riding by "time and place for everything".

The streets of Newtown whilst frustrating, are a recipe for disaster to ride crazy - not only the cars, but plenty of space cadets walking between parked cars as well.

Get out on some country roads - with plenty of run off to do some crazy stuff if you want to and no size limits on bikes at track days which would boost your confidence levels and put the whole motorcycling thing in some perspective for you.
  15. Y'know, I just got back from a trip into Newtown for lunch.

I was the very picture of courtesy and caution :)

I think really I just need to keep focusing and practising safe riding, and I'll sort it out. I just got a little carried away there for a while ... It's probably been useful in some way to articulate and vent my difficulties here, even if I do deserve a little name calling for my own stupidity.

Anyway, I'm much happier to be stupid for a couple of days, then notice and modify my behaviour, than permanently stupid.

16. woah!! what a wake up call!!
  17. [​IMG]

Cheers for taking the time to respond.

Don't consider it a flame. All I did was to use recent
    posts as reference to my POV.

Hopefully you sort ya shit out before it sorts you out.

18. Just imagine what will happen if it all goes wrong, Your life will be changed forever, if u are lucky. Is the few seconds you saved really worth it?? How much time do you save anyway, not much. not enough to risk your life on a silly move. There is enough dangers on the road, without being one yourself. Be calm and collected, get there safe. :wink:
  19. Hmm ..

I've realized it's not that I ride unsafely in general - it's just that every now and then I get an impulse to do something uncharacteristically risky.

I know it's stupid at the time, and I know the results if I mess up. I just don't care at the time. It's an impulse control problem.

Of course, I was an ADHD kid, which could have something to do with it.

It's something I just have to be super aware of, and try to train myself out of.