Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RJays rain gear... never again!

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by RacingTurtles, Sep 9, 2006.

1. I've been using rainproof overpants and jacket from Rjays and it's left a pretty poor impression: first the zipper on the jacket fell apart after a couple of months. And as I just found out today, the pants started to leak - right in the crotch, of course. (for those of you not in Sydney, it's been raining heavily most of the day here - my gear is soaked!) So anyway, I was hoping to achieve three things with this post:

1. just vent :)

2. warn you against buying RJays stuff, or at least RJays waterproof stuff... I'm not that impressed with how their Cordura jacket stands up to wear and tear either...

3. get recommendations for some decent quality replacement. What brand rainsuits are you happy with?
  2. Dririder Nordic Pants.
    Dririder Jacket, cant remember the nameof the jacket.
    Dont get wet and i dont get cold.

I been caught out by other cheaper brands and paid more for something that wouldnt let me down.

There is no feeling like cold wet balls and 200k to get home.
    Never again.

Good luck
  3. I agree with Stookie with the DriRider jacket, I have a Nordic4 and it's fantastic. But the DriRider Nordic4 pants I am not that impressed with. I still get wet where the water pools and the fit is terrible. Maybe it's just me but I'm sure there are better pants out there.
  4. DriRider Hurricane Oversuit
  5. southern asphalters issue nightwork suit by king gee.
    dunno what it would be exactly but i wear it in crap weather and its just like a full body prophylactic :LOL:

not much help i know, but it works and fits over my safety gear.
  6. all the dri-rider stuff is great, in my opinion.. well priced, about $100 for pants and 80 for the light jacket

you can get the last season stuff for $250 now, whereas the jackets used to be $450
  7. I used to swear by dri-rider gear, but my last dri-rider jacket I swore at.

It was rubbish to be honest and it cost me $450.
  8. Just go to Ray's outdoor's or Aussie disposals for ya water proof stuff
    works fine and a third of the cost of a "Name Brand"
  9. My non trendy branded Cordura jacket does not leak a drop. It's great.
    I haven't tried my self made 600 denier polyurethane coated Cordura pants in anger yet, but they did pass the angry fiancee and garden hose in the backyard test!
    For what it's worth, clothing usually leaks around stitching, as the stitching wicks water in, and the needle holes allow water in as well (especially on mass produded stuff, they use really big needles so they can sew faster).
    You can buy very good seam sealing products that are applied to the insides of seams, although a thin coat of a good silicone will also work wonders.

Regards, Andrew.
  10. The motordry stuff is better, double stitched and seamed in the important areas :)

BUT with any waterproof gear if you let the water pool on it it will soak through, it's like a tent. Make sure there's nowhere for the water to pool and you should be ok :)
  11. My Rivet Rainlock jacket is awesome. Its older than ZRX1200R and still as dry as his humour :p
  12. I've noticed it's shrunk just a tad the last few years though Vic :bolt: :LOL:
  13. I've got a Force jacket, and the only way water gets in is down my neck.

I also got a pair of Ixon gloves, and I'll swear by them. Warm in winter, not too thick and water stays out. I spent 2 hours riding in the rain due to work one day, and my hands only got wet after I took the gloves off. (Many thanks to Hal that runs TJs down here for these)
  14. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Bahstud, PI is less than a week away, you'll keep :p
  15. My Rjays rainproof overpants also allowed rain to soak though. I was surprised to find my draggin cargos damp/wet around the knees and crotch. I only had them for about 5 days. I also own a Rjays Tempest jacket. It has been OK so far but that's only after 5 days.
  16. well cb250goespop thanks for the heads up.
  17. Yea thanks. Half of my gear is from Rjays tho :( ;) hehe

I was gonna get that Dririder Hurricane suit someone here mentioned, they're $100 at Bikebiz.
  18. I'll second the Motodry gear, I've got their over pants and over jacket, both brilliant, both around $20 odd with discounts. I've also got a DriRider Hurricane suit, pretty good too, but a pain to put on/take off and left me with a wet patch on a couple of occasions.
  19. Would that make you a big pr1ck :p :LOL: :LOL:

Actually if your pants leak, it's probably along the seams. Tape along the seams inside with duct tape and see if that helps.

20. Ive not owned RJays stuff (unimpressed with quality generally) but a work colleague bought a pair of cordura overpants and jacket at the same time as I bought my first Dririder extreme jacket and pants ($450 versus $600).
    Both of us commute 130Km a day, rain, hail or shine. After 4 years my pants are still waterproof while his leak and have had the stitching fail in a number of places.
    My jacket has just been replaced with a Nordic 4 (not as good as the Extreme in my opinion) because it was beginning to leak (after at least an hour in heavy rain), velcro died and zips falling apart. The RJays basically leaked from new and has stitching and velcro ripping away from the jacket for years now.

I guess you get what you pay for.