Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RJays Altitude Boots? (Vs Sidi Vertigo/A* GPS3)

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Morbo28, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Hi All,

I was originally looking at Sidi Vertigo boots, but they are pretty expensive (~$400).
    gx2bJXSJ.
    I saw RJays Altitude boots that look like they could be a goer and are more reasonably priced (~$250). They are Aussie which is good :grin:
    aV2tff30.
    Does any one have any experience with the RJays? I searched and saw some people said they bought them, but had not had them long enough to really judge them.

Basically I am after something with really good protection, including ankle protection and solid protection rather than just leather. But I'll be buying black ones coz I don't like ones that look too blingy. Preferably I would like them to be comfy to walk in!!! :grin:

I have tried on the Sidis and they are pretty comfortable compared to others, but I hve to go try on the RJays now. I still felt a bit like a storm trooper though :LOL:

Waddaya reckon?

2. I haven't owned either of these but I will take a gamble and say the Sidi's are a better built boot and will last longer than the Rjays which I doubt are made in Oz.. more than likely China.. whereas the Sidi's are I believe, Italian..

The Rjays look okay though.. but for $299 you can get some Alpinestar boots which would be a better compromise..

3. I mean they're an Aussie company :) (from memory?)

I agree the Sidi's would be a level up. I guess I'm just tryin to find the best compromise. So good idea to look into the A* ones again - cheers :grin: These ones are the ~$300 ones
    Pq2utrO0.

Has someone worn the RJays to comment on comfort, flexibility, wear, etc etc? Or know how they compare to the A* or SIDI?

4. I've got the Altitudes.
    I'd say they're good starter or beginner's boots till you find out things you don't like about them, or realise what another boot can do for you.

I don't think they're supportive in the ankle enough, that they're a bit too loose. I could imagine snapping my ankle in a spill. I'd like some means of making the boot firm around my ankle. They've got a zip running up them with a velcro leather cover flap.

The Sidis would be better by far although I've not tried them on.....I only know about Sidi gear from my cycling days.

I really think you'd be wise to take your time & see about trying the boots on for fit. You can weigh up the odds.

If I had known what sort of biking I'm doing now then I'd have bought the Sidis. I hope to grade up to something of that calibre if I can find some $$$ sometime.

Re But I'll be buying black ones coz I don't like ones that look too blingy ....He he......I've got the white ones...I don't care if people point & larf....at least I know they've seen me: I don't bounce at my age & I've got health issues / used up 8 lives already.
    My leathers are from www.stormleathers.com.au ...good value.

gx1UiHJ.

5.  Top
  6. Did you get to try them on first? Or just hope they fit?

7. Okay in the end I tried on a different Astar model which is really a fairer comparison to the Sidi Vertigos anyway. It was the SMXR. rrp $499 Was put onto them by a dude at the Race Replica Kawasaki open day today. They were also willing to do a deal.
    PqvCh70.
    But they didn't have my size in stock so I dropped in to PS in the city. Tried the A* SMXR and the Sidi Vertigos one after the other as a comparison. Totally preferred the Sidis - so that's what I'll get. Fitted heaps better, were way easier for me to walk in and felt less bulky. They were a little more blingy than I like with the white/clear heel protector but whatevers. I said I was just looking and comparing prices at the moment.

The thing is the guy at PS said he could only do a 'deal' on the colours he had in stock but could not commit to a price on my choice of colour. He said I would have to order them in, and then once they are in we could talk price. :? I said politely that I am not going to order them in until I knew what the price would be, in that case I'll check out some other prices before I commit to ordering them. Then he said 'Peter Stephens are the only stores that stock Sidi boots Australia wide' :shock:
    :rofl:
    Right there - that was the moment that he lost the sale. Bam.

I rattled off a list of shops that I have seen them at. He just picked up the boxes, said 'okay' and just took off. Didn't see him again. :LOL: wtf?

So anyway, I will buy them from the lovely people that recommended them at Brighton Kawasaki, Nepean Hwy shops.

Thanks for your help people :grin: