Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

rizoma front brake fuild resevoir

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by hyo_duc, Oct 19, 2010.

1. asking question on how to replace this piece.
    One thing im keen to know about is bleeding the lines, is it 100% neccessary as i have read up it could cause issues if air or such is located within.
    I'm assuming it is not as simple as pinching the line, pop it on the new resevior then attatch it back onto bike, then fill new tank..
    anyway able to help my situation.. even with a possible step by step?

2. If there is air in your brake lines you must bleed them. Air reduces how effective your braking is because air can be compressed quite a lot whereas brake fluid can't be.

Generally speaking to bleed you take the top off your resevoir
    Put an O spanner on the bleed nipple
    bleed tube over the nipple
    pump the brake lever (about 3 times) - keep squeezing.
    open the nipple and you fluid will come out and your lever will come all the way to the bar
    close the nipple, release the brake lever
    Repeat until no air is coming out the tube, then change sides and do it again.

note: you must NOT let the resevoir get empty otherwise you have just sucked in air and have to start again.

Check youtube, there are heaps of vids on bleeding brakes. Also, do not over fill the resevoir and make sure you have it surround by a rag to catch any spilt fluid. Have a jug with water handy to pour on any the you get on the paint.
  3. I'm not familiar with the rizoma reservoir, but if it's a similar set-up to standard systems, you will be fine. Air in the lines is only an issue if it enters between the master cylinder and caliper piston. The fluid between the reservoir and the master cylinder is not under pressure, and therefore any air trapped will find it's way to the top, and sort of 'self-bleed'. ou could tap it gently to help it rise. Given that you're leaving the connecting tube in place, filled with fluid, I'd say you'll be fine.

Of course, it it was me, I'd see it as an opportunity to flush my brake fluid :wink: