Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Risky Roads - Crash Highlights concerns about National Park

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by chriskerr, May 23, 2008.

1. This story was front page in yesterdays leader, quite sad for me to read as I was at the scene of the accident with the young girl just a few moments after it happened, and spoke to the police at the scene on of which was an old friend of mine from school, I hope she recovers quickly.

There is a have your say poll that you guys might like to contribute to at the leaders website : http://www.theleader.com.au

large version here : http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/kerr.chris/Chris/photo#5203341989824672866

large version here :

large version here :

2. Oh my god I'm so glad we're not going through the Natio this Sunday...
  3. I haven't been through there on a bike, but the amount of debris on the road (tree branches mostly) and the sheer amount of moss on the road - during summer at that! - made me back off in the sportscar.

I don't know that I'd be happy to have a spirited ride through there on the bike, letalone trying to 'race' through.
  4. cant read the newspaper pic, too fuzzy

what does it say???
  5. here is the text

By Laura Speranza
    MOTORCYCLISTS are calling for major safety improvements to the roadways in the Royal National Park after a "horrific motorcycle crash involving a young woman last week.
    The call comes as statistics from the Roads and Traffic Authority reveal that 40 per cent of crashes in the Royal National Park last year involved motorcycles.
    A Bonnyrigg woman, 21, is fighting for her life in intensive care after crashing her Honda motorcycle on a straight section of Sir Ber¬tram Stevens Drive.

It is believed the woman lost control of her motorcycle while riding over a pothole, caus¬ing her bike to flip over several times.
    She suffered serious head injuries in the crash and underwent surgery last Wednesday at St George Hospital, where she remains in a critical condition.
    Police are investigating cause of the crash.
    St George Motorcycle Club junior vice-president Robert Whiteley, of Kirrawee, said the bumpy road surface through the Royal National Park made it a dangerous drive for motorcyclists.
    He said the road was also littered with deb-

ris, including rocks, branches and leaves.
    "Those sorts of things can easily throw a motorcyclist from their bike," Mr Whiteley said.
    "We really need the road to be upgraded as it deteriorates and road sweepers to go through there regularly to clear the debris."
    Comments posted on the Leader website said most motorcyclists used the roads through the Royal National Park as a "race track".
    Some readers suggested speed humps should be installed.
    "Just about every motorbike that comes

through does it at maximum speed," one reader said.
    But Mr Whiteley said most motorcyclists were careful.
    "You obviously see the odd one or two that go too fast, but it's not the majority by any means," he said.
    Crash statistics compiled by the RTA show there were 45 crashes in the Royal National Park along Farnell Avenue, Audley Road, Sir Bertram Stevens Drive and McKell Avenue in 2007.

of the 45 crashes along this route, 18 Involved motorcycles.

A spokesman for the RTYA said speed limits on Sir Bertram Stevens Drive had been reduced in 2007 to improve road safety and new curve warnings and speed limit repeater signs had been installed.

These CHanges were implemented to target the high incedene of motorcycle crashes within the Royal National Park, the spokeswoman said.
  6. Its not that bad really if you follow the speed limit and keep a good eye on the road and the curves signs, i do it a couple of times a week and it is safe if you pay attention and oney the law!
  7. Until I broke my bike, I had been riding the park 4-5 times a week, and managed about 5000km through it in a month and a half :grin:, and all of the problems identified are absolutely true. I wouldn't expect the RTA to be overly concerned, though, because it is equally true that they're only problems when you're travelling far faster than you're meant to be travelling, and the RTA isn't going to resurface the entire park so that we can try and get a knee down around more of the corners.

I would like to see the road swept more often. After the trees were cut around that 35km/h series of curves, the road was a mess for a week or two. Similarly, after that really windy period a month or two ago, I had to stop a few times to kick branches off the other side of road, because any biker who came through there, whether fast/slow/leaned over/not would definitely have gone into the bushes - the branches were inches thick and covering most of the lane :shock:

The moss doesn't seem to do anything to grip, which is bizarre because I'm sure that if I dismounted and scuffed my feet over it, I'd fall over. I tried to avoid it at first, but then started ignoring it because I could go around those corners at 120, straight over the moss, even on damp roads, and nothing seemed to happen. Go figure?
  8. They have the article online if you don't want to read the images.

Incidentally they do NOT have a poll up for this there yet...just a comments section at the end of the article
  9. Yeah, that's gonna help save lives :roll:

I don't know the road, I'll leave it to others to judge, but seriously, speed humps on an open road? Only if you want to kill someone!
    I hope they don't make roads up there according to public opinion like they do down here.
  10. Fair enough... But it's still something I'm not willing to test. :)

I was taught a harmless lesson about ambient conditions and road surface conditions a few years ago in the sportscar. Very very sideways due to dew on Macquarie Pass one winter morning, and I wasn't even pushing that hard. Fortunately I caught it and suffered no harm aside from a change of underwear, but since then I've always been (more) mindful of conditions, especially on two wheels.
  11. It's a road through a national park. You are complaining about branches and debris on the road? I fully expect that on any road that cuts through bush land.
    As for potholes, if you are riding so fast you can't change your line to avoid a pothole, well, your mistake.

Regards, Andrew.
  12. Sending a street sweeper through the Natio on a regular basis? That'd be worse than speed bumps.
  13. Can't be much slower than the pensioners who creep at 60km/h through the park, whilst enjoying the lovely scenery of ... immediate rock faces and dense bush? :?
  14. guys while I agree that there is a real need to watch what you are doing in the park, the point that needs to be raised is just that, inexperienced or silly riders will come to grief through the Natio if they don't take head of both road conditions and recommended speeds. It doesnt take away from the fact that this poor girl is fighting for her life with serious head injuries, and that's what most concerns me right at the moment.
  15. Mind you, you can apply that to pretty much any road in Australia.
  16. The Nasho's not that bad, heaps of bikes ride through it every day without any problem. Of course there are small branches and leaves on the road, it's a bushy area. It's bumpy, but not that much worse than many other roads in Australia.

Hundreds of riders go through the Nasho a little of the 'fast' side, without any problems.

Riders usually come off because they exceed their own ability, period. For this, it's not a very forgiving place, but blaming the road is not facing the facts.

(sorry about the girl, I hope she pulls through OK).
  17. I have removed my previous post as it is not now relevant.
  18. The RTA has resolutely refused to maintain the RNP for many years, for precisely the reason of discouraging people, especially motorcyclists, from using it. And if the National Parks and Wildlife loonies get their way, Bundeena and Maiinbar will be closed down and the Park will be closed to all traffic except those on foot wearing environmentally-approved plastic sandals :roll:.

Titus, here's a Google Map of the road in question

http://snipurl.com/2a8ey [maps_google_com_au]
  19. I'm also quite a fisherman and NPW are keen to shut fishing down also in a lot of areas so there is much merit to the argument.
  20. The Nasho can be as challenging as you want to make it.

That said, I've had to pick up a friend [and reasonable rider] TWICE from there

... with the ute :?