Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Risking Apple mocking (again) :lol:

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Can someone explain to me why my wireless laptop gives a speed reading of 54mbps at all the PC schools where I work, but a reading of 130mbps at the one Apple school at which I work???? ?? ?

2. The Apple school has a newer 802.11n network, the other networks are 802.11g.
  3. And 802.11n Is not apple specific, It is just a newer standard
  4. +1 to Akaluke and Falcon-Lord, I would just add that the 802.11n standard was so long coming with so many fights at the committee level that some manufacturers jumped the gun and came out with their own fast standards. Not sure if that was the case with Apple.

In most cases a firmware upgrade was required in the Access Points to make them truly 802.11n compatible this would allow different manufacturers equipment to operate together at the higher speeds. Equipment from the same supplier would interoperate at the higher speeds out of the box.

You may be caught in one of these situations.
  5. I'm not complaining, mind, but the Airport Extreme access points seem, because of this, I guess, to be very much more powerful than the standard Cisco and Linksys stuff that I work with at other sites

thanks for the explanation, btw, you learn something new every day on Netrider
  6. 'N', as a standard has greater range that pure G routers. The best 'N' access points are also dual band. I believe the Apple Extreme AP's can have 'N' on 5Ghz and G on 2.4Ghz, allowing you to have two wireless networks available for your connected devices. At 5ghz they tend to be out of the range of portable phones etc...and therefore maintain their performance better.