Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RIP Mr Heston

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by VTRBob, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Yup we have lost another of the 'greats'

Mr Ben Hur has joined his fellow thespians in that big theater in the sky.

So many great movies he stared in.
    Ben Hur
    Planet of the apes
    etc etc

How's the US going to go now the NRA has lost one of its biggest supporters/lobbyists ?

some memorable quotes

Get your hands of me you damn dirty ape,
    The only way your going to get my gun is to pry it out of my cold lifeless hands
  2. Yeah I just read it too - RIP.
  3. Cut out of a particular material that does not seem to be available today, was Mr Heston. We may not see his like again.
  4. "For an actor, there is no greater loss than the loss of his audience. I can part the Red Sea, but I can't part with you, which is why I won't exclude you from this stage of my life.''
    Spoken in a manner only becoming of a great man. His loss is the loss of millions.
    RIP Charlton Heston. :cry:
  5. sad, but he had a full life.
  6. I don't really know much about him, but the interviews I saw always cast him in a negative light (antigun documentaries always had plenty of fodder in Hestons statements).

and I was too young to appreciate his 'acting'.
  7. Yeah, i only got to see the NRA aspect which frankly, was a little frightening.
  8. Can I have your gun please? Great actor weird politics though.
  9. And confusing given during the '60s he actually supported the Gun Control Act and campaigned for its introduction. Something which the NRA is opposed to even though the list of people it prevents from owning firearms seems more than reasonable.
  10. Now, about that 'cold dead hands' thing.
  11. Bugger the gun thingy. He never got in strife for shooting anyone, or doing one of those massacre thingys.
  12. +1

You blew it up you maniacs. Dam you, dam you all to hell
  13. ...but he actively fought to make guns more freely accessible to the teenagers who often did so...

I'm old enough to appreciate both his acting, and his post-acting NRA lobbying.

I find myself with mixed feelings about his death, but in many ways, it won't change anything now with respect to the gun situation - the damage has already been done.

Oh well, better go snack on some Soylent Green while I sort out the feelings. Mmmmm. Soylent Green.
  14. There you go eh, You learn something everyday.
    I thought he died years ago, right after those "what ever you do don't smoke " adds.
    He was good in -The King And I- though. :wink:
  15. You wouldn't have him mixed up with Yul Brynner, would you?
  16. nah .. your thinking of that bloke from Papillon.
    He was good too.

18. What drugs brought that on?
  19. #19 russ, Apr 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    this is why the Micaleff show never made it... obsure references that nobody understood :cry:

20. Can I buy some from you? It clearly works good.