Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

RIP Billy Thorpe

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Caz V1, Feb 28, 2007.

1. The end of an era for the australian rock industry.

RIP Billy Thorpe
    60 yrs aint that old

All together now......

[​IMG] Most people I know, think that I'm craaaazzzyyyyy!!!!! [​IMG]

Rock icon Billy Thorpe dies in Sydney
    28th February 2007, 8:23 WST

Australian rock legend Billy Thorpe, who has died in Sydney, has been honoured as a "genius" showman who inspired a generation of musicians.

Thorpe died in St Vincent's Hospital after suffering a massive heart attack at his home in Darling Point, in Sydney's east, just after midnight. He was 60.

Billy Thorpe and The Aztecs, whose hits include Most People I Know (Think That I'm Crazy), sold out concert venues and produced chart-topping songs in the '60s and '70s.

Their former manager, Michael Browning, said Thorpe created what became known as the pub music scene, and was a "genius" showman.

"He was amazing, I remember standing on the side on the stage at the Myer Music Bowl in front of 200,000 people and watching Billy work the crowd," he told the Seven Network.

"I don't think there has ever been anyone in Australia that has been able to work the crowd like Billy Thorpe."

Music journalist and historian Glenn Baker said there was "something that was just primal about Thorpe's blood-curdling roar".

He was born in England but immigrated to Brisbane with his family in the 1950s and later moved to Sydney in 1963 to jumpstart his music career.

He established himself as a pin-up idol in the '60s, but reinvented his image in Melbourne and turned Australian rock "on its ear with a thunderous, pulverising music", Mr Baker said.

"The Aztecs just become a byword, really, for the origins of Australian pub rock," he said.

"It's the one form of music we've done better and more convincingly than any other."

Normie Rowe, who similarly started his career as a teenage rock sensation in the 1960s, said Thorpe emulated the 1950s bands who started the rock and roll movement in Australia.

Thorpe moved to Los Angeles in the late '70s and released a series of concept albums before returning to Australia in the '90s.

He had just recorded a new album and had just finished an acoustic tour. He was soon to travel to Morocco, where he was working in a recording project.

Rowe said Thorpe was the driving force behind the music documentary Long Way To The Top in 2002.

Federal Labor MP and former Midnight Oil frontman Peter Garrett said Thorpe inspired many bands.

"The thing about Thorpie and the Aztecs ... was that they were loud and proud and very Aussie and when they played at Sunbury (music festival) they got up as a bunch of Aussie blokes and just really did it full frontal," he told the Nine Network.

"I think his transition from sort of a pop singer and pop idol really to a full blown, absolutely in your face rocker, was something incredible to see and provided, I think, a lot of inspiration for many, many bands."

Prime Minister John Howard says he's saddened at the death of rock legend Billy Thorpe, a giant of the Australian music industry.

"He earned his great success with The Aztecs and shot to national prominence in the 1970s with a string of brash albums and songs and powerful performances," Mr Howard said in a statement.

Thorpe is survived by his widow Lynne and daughters Lauren and Rusty.

Funeral details are expected to be announced in the next 24 hours.
  2. Top post Caz.

He will be missed.
  3. I can't think of anyone who played hard rock before Thorpie :?

Am sure in his 60 years he's packed more than a few lifetimes worth of good times in there.

RIP and hopefully the amp's already turned up to 11 :cool:

4. Aaaaaah, so THAT'S who Billy Thorpe is/was/RIP :eek:
  5. I remember passing throught the Sunbury concert as a child with the family. The traffic was crazyyyyy.

Billy Thorpe (God bless him) and Stevie Wright were great originators of hard of Australia.
  6. considering the industry he's in and he was right in the middle of it in the 60's and 70's its probably amazing he lived till 60.

RIP Billy, great tunes.
  7. Ahh Poo,

RIP Billy. Awesome music
  8. RIP Billy.

I can remember being at a family birthday party as a child in Sunbury when one of the Sunbury concerts (possibly 1972??) was being held and you could hear the music nicely even with the concert site being many miles away.
  9. R.I.P ! i heard it on the news earlier today was shocked i'd hate to die of a heart attack!!
  10. Thorpie, Ted Mulry, Brian Cadd, great names from a fabulous era of Australian music. I doubt many of the modern crop will still be rocking their socks off to appreciative audiences when they're in their 60s....
  11. Been listening to my "Billy Thorpe: Live at Sunbury" album.

Ooh Poo Pa Doo Billy.
  12. RIP Billy what a bugger :cry: And hornet Ted mulry :shock: You gotta be kidding,maybe when u were jumpin in your car you hit your head :p

13. I was there .. I think :cool: my memory is a little hazy from inhaling everybody else's illegal substances .. but Thorpie and the Aztecs were Fugg'n A.
  14. Anybody watching the special on TV at the moment???

Bloody hell he fitted a lot in too his life
  15. Yep, I watched it, with tears in my eyes at times!
  16. Brilliant singer, guitarist, lovely fellow with a great sense of humour. :applause:

Your contribution to Australian Music, whether it be pop, rock 'n' roll
    or folk music will not be forgotten.

Rock on. [​IMG]