Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ringtones used for covert comunications!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by es, Jul 6, 2006.

1. how cool is this??
    damn kids!

Last year, a UK security company announced their revolutionary teenage deterrent product, the Mosquito (pictured). It’s a sounder unit that emits a very high (ultra-sonic) tone that statistically, people over the age of 25 cannot hear.

It relies on presbycusis, the loss of hearing that gradually occurs in most individuals as they grow older. The device is designed to allow shopkeepers to get rid of “surly youths” who loiter and at the same time without distracting potential customers.

The product’s website boasts feedback stating astounding success, and that it managed to “chase away annoying teenagers who gather on street corners, on shopping parades and in other problem areas”.

However, tech-savvy students have managed to record the tone that the Mosquito emits and have turned it into an alert tone on their mobile phones.

They then use the tone to notify them of new text messages they receive in class, where adult teachers can’t hear it. This is especially useful for students in schools where mobile phone use during class has been banned.

The ring tone has been named “Teen Buzz” and is already available freely over the web at the following sites:

* http://download.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/atc/atc_teenbuzz.mp3
    * http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=6469525
    * http://www.jetcityorange.com/MosquitoRingtone.html
  2. :LOL: Had heard about this, but now I have the download too.... this'll ward off those pesky young'ns :p :grin:
  3. I can hear that with my right ear but not my left - it's bloody annoying too...
  4. Thats great, I feel like I should catch the train in to work tommorrow, just so I can try out my new ringtone on all the school kids !! :grin: :grin:
  5. Okayyyy, my kids all heard it ("What is that horrible noise Mum?"), but my husband and I can't :?
  6. I'm a bit of a freak, 36 and heard it. I have super sonar radar (batfink) hearing though.

Regards, Andrew.
  7. wow,
    that is the exact tone i get in my ears from monitors and other electrical devices.
    sometimes it pervades even when i am sure all electrical devices within 10m are off.

so this means i am not going crazy. :grin:
    (or am i!) :wink:
  8. Yer same here. Even freakier is when I use my MySQL admin software to connect to the server it makes a chirup sound..nothing else does that with my laptop.

I could hear both of the mp3 and wav files but the wav was pretty quiet, there's your 25yo threshold stuffed.
  9. Well im really going to squash this so called statement that 'older people' cant hear it
    :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
    I can hear it so can nadeen but her son "16" cant ...............
    why you would ask oh i so know why HE cant hear it .............

All his DOOF DOOF crap he listens to

10. i can hear it but my mum can't, thats cool :D
  11. That frickin' pierces my frickin' ear!!!

And I'm over 25!!!! Ugh.
  12. Oh wow! I thought I was the only one! Seriously no-one I've ever met can hear things like Tv's and stereos when they fire up. My GF didn't believe me and we did an experiment where she turned on the TV*(Sond off) and I stood in another room. Totally nailed it each time. :)
  13. We must have some kind of machine affinity......its almost like how your Mum used to know what you were upto before you did it. Evolution has equiped us well for the future robot uprising. :LOL:
  14. Scrambles + Carver - i can hear them too (electric devices and the mosquito ringtone) - so can my brother.
  16. CRT monitors (and TVs) have a thing called a flyback transformer. This operates from around 15kHz onwards in monitors, and 15.625 kHz in TV sets (625 × 25 scanlines per second). The annoying squeal is from the windings in the transformer squeezing and relaxing with each pulse.

And Carver, I think it is universally acknowledged that you are indeed. :LOL: