Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Rimsky, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Hi all,
    I'm new to riding, currently own a 2013 Hyosung gt650. Great bike to ride but I'm currently exploring other bikes with a view to looking what else is out there. I have now ridden a number of bikes but seem to be leaning towards a Yam FZ6R, as it seems to be a bike you can de restrict. Although I'm not sure of the implications, once I'm off the Lams licence?

2. Welcome to NR Rimsky.
    I am sure come morning your thread will runneth over with the implications of your query...
  3. Welcome to NR RimskyRimsky.

Mechanically, de-restricting is pretty straightforward (usually involves removing a throttle lock).

Legally, the bike was complied as a LAMS bike so if you want to stay within the bounds of the law then you'd need to get it recomplied as a non-LAMS bike. Adds a metric arseload of cost and headache, probably easier and cheaper just to sell the bike and buy an unrestricted one.

Any reason you want to go from your GT650 to another LAMS bike? If there's nothing wrong with the Hyo, just serve out your plates and save your cash for a proper adult bike for when your license allows it. Your options would open up significantly without having to faff around with derestricting.