Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Rim Stripe Removal

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by ihaveduff, Aug 27, 2007.

1. ok, i have rim stripes on my VTR and i want to get them off. Now the stick like sh!t to the preverbial, so does anyone have any tips?

2. Hair dryer.

Grease and tar remover

Eucalyptus Oil

Bamm Off

C4?..........ok, maybe not
  3. Yup... Spot on. Hair Dryer to help lift the main part off, then Eucalyptus Oil for the stickiest of the ickiest bits left on the wall of the rim.
  4. thanks guys :grin: will give that a go!
  5. Hi, ihaveduff,
    the best thing that I use at work in the spray shop,
    is paint is wax and grease remover,
    cleans glue from stickers, decals and other sticky substances off.

It can be purchased from supercheap or similar,
    will remove the glue and leave the rims nice and clean,
    without damaging the paint,
    Eucalyptus Oil may be a bit too agressive and leave fading on the paint.
    You can usually use Wax and grease remover on the whole rim to remove the road grime as well.

6. Will kero get through the sticker glue?
  7. Kero should do that no probs also.
  8. I attempted to take the rim stickers off my bike today. It took me a good 2 hours whilst using a hair dryer. It was a very tedious process and required alot of patience. Had to do it slowly otherwise the rim stickers kept tearing.

I'm going to attempt to get the glue off tomorrow, i'll probably use some more of the ideas mentioned in this thread.
  9. I attempted to get the glue off my rims today. It took me a good 4 hours to do one complete wheel (glue was on both sides from the stickers, obviously).

I tried most of what was mentioned in this thread and found Wax and Grease Remover to be the best. I'm not sure if there are better methods but i basically applied the Wax and Grease Remover to a cloth, and rubbed it into the glue and pushed the glue around the rim, and wiped off the glue every now and then.

I'm never putting rim stickers on a bike ever again! I totally understand why the business's selling rim stickers don't tell you how bad it is to remove them otherwise their sales would drop a fair bit. ;)
  10. Sandpaper?
  11. +1 on the wax and grease remover (prepsol). It's about $15.
  12. I think the idea is to not take the paint off your rims.
  13. Yep. Prepsol (Wax and Grease Remover) is great but many companies have taken the Xylene and Toluene out so it's not as good as it used to be.

I'm in the business of making stickers and in fact fit Ventureshield to cars and bikes for a living. We sometimes use Isopropyl Alcohol depending on the adhesive type. Some stickers are made from cheap calendered material (which has a crappy adhesive) because it is thicker and easier to fit. You'll recognise the poorer grades when you see shrinkage and a dirty line around the edges where the adhesive is exposed.

The best stuff is made from Cast Vinyl but it is much thinner and more difficult to fit. Cast doesn't leave the adhesive behind as much as calendered and doesn't shrink much if at all. It is certainly not noticeable.

Feel free to PM me with any questions related to stickers and the like.

14. Or, for quick results,

(Your results may vary...)