Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Right turns at (mini) roundabouts - still can't find the line

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by MadAzz300, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I have been trying different approaches, and different speeds into mini roundabouts and even the larger ones, and can't seem to find that sweet spot where I don't feel like my bike is going to slip out on me when I'm turning right..

It's getting a tad frustrating because I find myself slowing down instead of accelerating through. I thought practicing going around a cul-de-sac would help, which it has, but only on normal turns.

Have I psyched myself out do to the issues I had my first week of riding? I think yes. Is there specific things I can practice that will help me overcome this?

Other than that, all is good in my MadAss world (y)
    -Lee

2. turn your head like you're a great big owl

• Like Like x 3
  3. buddy...is your partner a rider? i'd suggest getting him to join and practice with you...it's something i still **** up every now and then but still handle them without issue compared to the early days of coming too close to hitting the gutter or just nearly stopping dead

if worse comes to worst and no advice that works for you is offered here i'll get out with you and practice on a roundabout with you for a hour or so (ideally it'd probably be best in the late hours of the night though((midnight onwards)) so as to not have to deal with traffic)

there's a couple in letho that are perfect (including the one that i always messed up on in my early days)

the offer's there...can be done in the daytime of course but it'll be alot of stop starting the practice considering traffic.

4. I struggle with this too. But I find looking HARD where you want to go, a wide entry, and counter steer like you mean it (which feels brave at low speeds) and it helps a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ah, ok. Maybe that's what I'm missing ay.. not turning my head/view enough .. early morning Sunday practice here I come (hope the neighbours don't want a sleep in :p)

6. Thanks heaps for the offer bud. I've been leaving to go to work at 4am (2 hours early) to practice around the roads there (Erskine Park business park) - but no roundabouts. If you're keen enough to meet up at that time I'd be very very grateful!

Oh, and no - my partner is a motocross rider - no road experience.

7. I Have one of those mini roundabout right round the corner from me so I used to do 2-3 laps before and after most rides, Just have to remember to keep your head up and looking around.

Having the bike in good condition helps, my new(old) bike has a bit of a slack chain at the moment and the lurching makes it quite a bit harder :facepalm:

8. When they told you to look where you want to go, did you think they were just talking shit?

Its a round a bout, i had to deal with one 30 meters down the road after i got onto a bike for the first time in my entire life bar the LAMS course. Guess what, it was exactly the ****ing same as going around any corner on a bike and essentially the same as using one in a car. I honestly cannot understand why SO many new riders have trouble simply using round a bouts.

That being said, australians mostly do not understand roundabouts at all. What is your lineage OP? were you born here to Australian parents? you might just be genetically incapable of correctly using a roundabout.

Uncos top tips for round a bout useage:

1. select an exit
    2. ride into the round a bout after giving way if needed
    3. continue to ride around the roundabout until you reach your desired exit
    4. leave the roundabout.

Seriously, its ****ing simple.

Why are you letting your head drop?
    what part about keep your head up did you miss on the learners course?
    Why are you not focusing on your corner exit?

Unless you can master this your going to crash all the ****ing time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I had this problem re-appear for me after over 200,000klm of road riding on one particular roundabout in my local area when I purchased an 09 R1. This roundabout is about 4mtrs wide and the turn I was making was greater than 90 degrees. The bike was geared so tall compared to my previous bike that I struggled to get around that tiny roundabout in first gear without pulling in the clutch lever and all sorts of other stuff which took my attention away from actually performing the neccesary things I needed to do to get around the thing.The snatchy on/off throttle wasn't helping things either. What also didn't help was that it was my first bike with clip ons rather than bars, so the whole steering, body, head position thing was a little alien to me at first, but only on really slow speed stuff. Once I got more accustomed to the bike it was no longer an issue, as I just hit the roundabout faster.

I solved the issue by consciously using reference points like you would at a track day and actually took a line that squared the thing off just a little bit. Pick a point on the road where you want to start your turn and when you are almost to that point look up at your apex and through to the peice of road that is your exit, perform a quicksteer countersteer and hey presto through I would go no dramas.

Unlike Unconnected (who is obviously more gifted than us mere mortals), I can see why roundabouts pose a challenge for newbies. They are all different, they often have changing road profiles as you travel around them, can have quite high levels of traffic using them, can also have poor vision through them due to councils treating them like a great place to grow bushes and such and they can require low speed manouvres which can be difficult. Just practice, practice, pracitce guys and girls.

• Like Like x 4
  10. ...... sorry, had to re-think my response here

Canadian born. Genetics has nothing to do with it. I'd like you go to where I'm from and successfully manage a dog sled team through rough country and not make mistakes or ask questions with 6 hours of "training" in a closed circuit. That's the transport I grew up with.

Thanks for at least putting this constructive bit of advise in your post (y)

• Like Like x 1
  11. first blip down hard and violently to set up your entry speed and let the ****ers know you are comming through so like, stay the **** out of my roundabout.
    then treat it like a sharp right hand turn.
    stay wide and straight, looking ahead. then if captain ****face in his camry pulls out in front of you can brake with bike upright.
    if he dose'nt, you snap your head around look straight down the exit.
    push, lean. you might want to hang of, up to you.
    throttle, bike comes up, flip of captain ****face in his stupid POS camry, wheelie.
    really the best way to manage roundabouts. shock people and leave them in awe of you.

i just had a look on youtube to find a demo vid of swerve technique, counter steering, push steering etc. there were heaps on there but they were so ****ing boring.
    this vid is better and i learned a lot from it

• Like Like x 3
  12. yes YES

13. 4am isn't a issue - few years of night shift permanently turned me into a night owl...i'll get in touch with you over the weekend and we'll sort something out and go from there, sound good?

14. Roundabouts are not simply a right hand turn, they are all sorts of fun. Unless the roundabout is on a heavy trucking route like the one down the road from mine, it's probably going to be significantly off camber. That's where the trouble comes from. Your front feels like its going to wash because of the camber and because the surface is compromised by all sorts of crap, but what the others say is absolutely right, turn you're head, throttle it, counter steer.
    Unless its raining you won't really need to be careful, just have a steady throttle hand.

There is one roundabout I could never get my head around, turning from Penshurst Rd right onto edgbaston going towards Beverly hills. It switched downhill to off camber and had three our for surface changes throughout. Always did my head in despite knowing the theory add good as anyone ever will.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Before the turn I check my right for oncoming vehicles and then the face of the driver on my left to confirm that he/she saw me (literally looking at me before making the turn). I enter wide, a majority of the time in 2nd gear, ride the clutch and light use of the rear. My throttle is steady, head pointing at where I want to go, and as my bike is returning upright out of the turn I open the throttle more. I works for me on small to large roundabouts, single and two-lane roundabouts. I am upright on tight ones and I lean on large ones. For tight, small roundabouts, I do it the same but on 1st gear, more upright, and slower. The best thing you are doing right now is practicing. It will come in time.

16. Next time you are riding on a straight line, give either the left or right handle grip the slightest ever push with your pointing finger (parallel to the road) and see how your ride reacts. Once I became comfortable, I used this with the palm of either hand.

Check out this clip (watch it all):

• Like Like x 4
  17. Sure does. I'll PM you my #. Thanks again!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll look at the posted videos and put it to practice tomorrow - much appreciated!

18. Spenaroo's spectacular guide to roundabout's

Step 1: buy a super retard.
    Step 2: keep it straight
    Step 3: roundabout what roundabout.
    Step 4: maintain throttle as you go up the gutter
    Step 5: enjoy the time your saving compared to those silly cars who turn around it.
    Step 6: twist the wrist to get that front wheel in the air as you go down the gutter on the other side
    Step 7: feel awesome

Simple stuff.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Looks like someone had their breakfast bowl of bitchy today.
    What a load of self indulgent, chest-thumping, prejudiced crap.

Awesome effort on the early starts, Lee! :)

Turning right on tight, dustbin-lid (mini) round-abouts is not dissimilar to doing u-turns. Nail your u-turns and you'll find them much easier.

Here's a u-turn clip from US, reverse direction for here in Aus.
    Btw, motorman "ride like a pro' has a lot of very useful tips for beginners starting out, worth checking out more of his stuff on youtube.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Thanks NightOwl - I'll look through his videos for sure. I've been watching Roadcraft Nottingham and Learn2Ride channels as they are based in the UK - very informative.

Luck be mine that I have an awesome (ex-due to knee injury-motorbike rider) boss who said he'll help set up the MOST test in our warehouse receiving bay in the next couple weeks, and let me practice there as much as I want. Helps that 2 more employees just passed thier pre-learners over the weekend :)

On my agenda this week
    -U-turns
    -Countersteering

Have a good one!