Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Right turn from a steep hill

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by pete AU, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Theres a turn i'm having trouble with - I always overshoot and end up in the gravel on the side of the road.

Going down a steep hill and making a 90 degree right turn onto a level road - I always overshoot to the left.

Any hints?
  2. Take the turn slower, keep your head up and look up the road where you want to go. :)
  3. Yep, look THROUGH the corner, not AT the corner.
  4. How can you keep overshooting the same corner over & over
    again? :?

Dont make sense to me.. :facepalm:
  5. I saw it on Dr Who or Star Trek once

Chronic rehistorysis
  6. Sounds like you need to try a different entry speed and/or line through the corner.....and you've probably put the mocker on yourself a little too if you repleatedly screw the pooch on the same corner.

I'd say everyone has a few corners that are the nemesis, take it slow into the corner and build up from there. Trying different lines so you exit the corner closer to the centre of the road, you'll know it when you get the right line but probably the key thing is getting over the dread of that corner and building up your confidence again.

Have a read of this thread and the article glitch is refering to...could give you some food for thought.

7. Me either?? And why would you keep trying it on a corner when you run off into some gravel?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Start wide, slow down before corner, steady acceleration while looking through the corner and accelerate out of it!

you got a fear of off camber corners?
  8. Keep your front tyre pressure on the low side of ideal: sounds like the downhill might be giving you a lack of confidence in front-end grip. Otherwise, what the other said: look up the road. If you're running wide and feel like a 'passenger', countersteer. As a last resort only, hang off a little bit.
  9. slow down a bit
    look to where you WANT to end up (ie through the corner)
    Dont look to where you HAVE ended up or else you'll be there again.
    If the corner is off camber, take slower and look at what is happening to your balance and your bikes attitude (positioning) to the road, you may have to lean more than normal.
  10. I have a couple of questions.
    Are you engine breaking your way down the hill?
    Do you gear change before the corner?
    Is the engine ballance changing between breaking and accelerating just as you enter the corner.
    you may have your power ballance shifting at just the wrong moment and unsettleing your ballance.
  11. Kishy, sounds to me that he's tried to get it right, then eventually asked for help, nothing wrong with that. In fact it's the main reason for the "new riders and riding tips" forum
    We can't all be instant perfect experts.

Pete AU, as the others with constructive advice have said, take it a bit slower into the corner, if possible (sometimes it's not) start wider, and do keep the head up.

You could try LIGHTLY dragging the REAR brake, (called trail braking) that has the tendency to "tighten" the turn. Also, if you feel your drifting wide, dont back of the throttle, try to gentle accelerate out (depends on road surface, rain etc.

I'm guessing you've gone wide so many times your "fixating" on that gravel now, you really have to break the habit and force yourself to look around at some point way up the road your turning into, even exagerate it to the point of ridiculous.

Hope that helps
  12. Then you're too fast for your current skill level. Slow down methinks.
  13. All good basic advice guys, thanks. I know about looking where your going and I do take this corner in 1st actually - so its quite slow.

The hill is very steep (to me), I'd say about 30 degrees.

I only keep going back to this corner cos I want to be able to do it right in case I have to do this kind of corner in traffic and theres no traffic thru here usually.

I went back to the corner in the car today to see its not actually a 90 turn - more like a 80 degree turn - so its tight (for me). I'll keep at it. Thanks for the tips.