Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Right Oil to Use

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by kw0n3k, May 22, 2010.

1. hey all,

long story short, droped the oil out of my bike today and rocked up to my supplier to grab oil, only thing he had was Shell Advance Racing M 30, being that i only wanted fully synthetic oil

now my bikes no super dooper hot shot (08 ninja 250r). i dont race it, but anyways decided ahhhh what the hell.

curious to know after reading up on the oil, its best suited to 2-stroke 4 stroke karts and bikes.....just curious will it be alright for everyday riding?

thanks in advance.
  2. There's nothing wrong with putting fully synthetic in a bike like that. I put full synthetic in my bike without issues.
  3. Make sure you warm up the bike for a few minutes before riding, and ride conservatively for the first few kilometres. Racing oil is probably optimised for high engine speeds (i.e. rpms) and high operating temperatures, and probably not optimised for cold hard starts in the morning and cold operating temperatures.
  4. ahh cool thanks for the tips. ive used fully synthetic before just not "Racing Oil".

i usually use fuchs silkolene pro 4. which is a fully syn ester based oil. but yesterday was out of options.

thanks for the advice.
  5. Shell Advance Racing M 30 is a straight weight 30 oil so it doesn't flow that well when cold, and its a blend of castor oil.

Castor oil tends to form gums in a short time, and its use is therefore used in engines that are regularly rebuilt, such as race engines.

IMO get your self some Delo 400 or motul if you want fully synthetic and get the M30 out of your engine.
  6. make sure u start your bike up when its got no oil in it and do a couple of k's just to make sure shes empty (y)

PS: im joking
  7. No No No, thats not the right way.

Let it warm up, stick a hose in the top of the case where u normally add oil and just turn on the tap. The engine will stop buy its self when its all clean just let it run and give it a few revs every now and then :)

PS: Jokes :)